Best Backup method : server or client

Hi,
I use Joplin for 2 days now and I start wondering how to back up my notes. I have my own joplin-server on a NAS running in docker.

Is it better to backup the server or a client ? I feel like backing up the server would be better but I have no real argument.

My second question would be to know if there is a way to make it automatic ?

Thx for the support

Why not both?

For the client you can use this plugin: Backup Plugin

At the moment I use WebDav as sync target, but I backup local and on the server.

The advantage of the local backup via JEX is that I can also import the data into another Joplin instance to extract only one note.

I only have the server backup in case there is a total loss of the server and I need to restore everything.

But I think with the Joplin server the backup of the server will become important with the time, because here also the shared notebooks are stored and the infos of the individually shared notebooks.

I've seen the backup plugin for the client.

Is there something similar for the server ? If not, what are the datas I need to backup ?

In my docker, I have :

base/
global/
pg_commit_ts/
pg_dynshmem/
pg_logical/
pg_multixact/
pg_notify/
pg_repslot/
pg_serial/
pg_snapshots/
pg_stat/
pg_stat_tmp/
pg_subtrans/
pg_tblspc/
pg_twophase/
pg_wal/
pg_xact/
pg_hba.conf
pg_ident.conf
PG_VERSION
postgresql.auto.conf
postgresql.conf
postmaster.opts
postmaster.pid

Thx

On the server, if you're using Joplin Server, you only need to backup the Postgres data for example using pg_dumpall or any other method.

Why do you need to do backup of client and server? I just ask.

Notes are included in the backup for both, but in the client also the client settings. In the server backup but only the info with whom which notebook / note was shared.

Client
In the client backup you have also the settings, templates css files.
You do not need to know anything about databases (backup / restore)
Simple restore and server independent (When you want to cange to a other sync target)

Server
Advantageous if something goes wrong when backing up the server app.
However, some database knowledge is needed for the backup and the restore. Especially if you only want to restore parts of the database.

The backup can only be used in the Joplin server, not on a client for restoring or transferring the data to another sync target.

Hello,

I finally decided to implement the backup on the server via a scheduled task on my Synology :

docker exec postgres-db sh -c 'pg_dumpall -U joplin > /var/lib/postgresql/data/psql-backup/$(date +%Y-%m-%d)\ psql.backup.sql'
find /volume1/docker/joplin/joplin-data/psql-backup* -mtime +7 -exec rm {} \;

And I use the plugin on my desktop to save locally my notes.
Thx
I

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.