Android (background) sync interval

I love this manual sync from Joplin. :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed: :outbox_tray: :inbox_tray:
Please keep the manual sync by default without any background task when the app is closed.

I have 40,000 items I am syncing (still ongoing). I just ported over my entire Evernote to Joplin just for a test run.

It seems that, since its taking more than a day to download/sync/decrypt on mac/windows, it would take far too long to do this process on my Android devices! Almost unfeasible I would assume.

Am I right in saying this? So Its rather difficult for Joplin to scale when the number of notes starts to increase massively?

2 Likes

Very interested in your input after you get everything on Android. I just ported over 10k Evernote notes and 50k resources (mostly from web clips) and I'm seeing a UI freeze / lag of about 15 seconds with each sync.

1 Like

Could you please elaborate on the limitations regarding react native?

There seem to be some older but still maintained react native extensions (the oldest is from 2016) that claim to allow waking up applications and running tasks in it.

They seem to use React Native's Headless JS (also from 2016) which explicitly is described as:

Headless JS is a way to run tasks in JavaScript while your app is in the background. It can be used, for example, to sync fresh data, handle push notifications, or play music.

And syncing is exactly the task that is discussed here, isn't it? :thinking:

PS: I opened an issue for this

1 Like

I know this is a very old post but since background sync is still not a feature on mobile, could you elaborate how you set it up on macrodroid if you remember?

2 Likes

Could background synchronization and everyone being satisfied with the synchronization have been a "profitable option" for developers?

I don't quite understand the wording here.
Could you please rephrase the question?

I believe that slow synchronization, which is also caused by Joplin mobile application not working in the background, is a manipulation by the developer to make us purchase Joplin Cloud. I have expressed my thoughts on this matter in the following topic. You can share your opinions:

Ah well. It doesn't matter.
They just don't want to implement it and they try to avoid this topic completely so it's unlikely that it will have background support like literally every other app.

Being slow is one thing and it wouldn't matter if there would be background sync.
The background sync is also necessary so that your mobile device is getting changes quickly when you change something on another client.
Otherwise you might change the same note and you'll automatically run into a conflict because you didn't let it finish completely after starting the mobile client yet you edit it and then Joplin just doesn't know what to do.

Laurent started out with weird lies like background sync

Cannot currently be fixed due a limitation of the underlying framework

or other lies like

we rely on existing libs, which for now don’t exist on React Native

and I tried to properly argue that the mentioned reasons are valid

After three years, one of the contributors summarized everything with reasonable arguments and even user reviews (you have to click to read that post because Laurent decided to hide it and to mark it as a "duplicate" (which doesn't make any sense either).

Laurent's response was just that he hid all the comments and locked the issue.

I am not aware of any note application without background sync except Joplin.

Anyway, I have high hops in Notesnook, they're already pretty neat but I'm waiting until they finished self hosting.

Their sync server is FOSS but they didn't publish an image on Docker Hub nor did they add any docs or added the server URL setting.

So all in all: try to live with Joplin not having a background sync or migrate to any other application.
People asked for this in 2018 so you should not expect Laurent to change his mind in 2024. :wink:

1 Like

Thank you for your response. We need passionate users like you. Please also make comments like this in the topics below. If we can make people understand, we can put pressure on @laurent . Because no developer wants users to drift away and turn to alternative applications. Please take a look at the topics I've opened:

Please also make comments like this in the topics below.

No, you made some wrong claims in your other threads. I'm certainly not going to join that.

we can put pressure on @laurent

This is also not the way to tackle this and this sounds like childish behaviour.

If you want to fix this, feel free to create a Pull Request yourself. Or create a fork like Chen did.
Attacking maintainers (or any other person for that matter) doesn't solve anything.

4 Likes

You've misunderstood me. Firstly, I never made any false claims. On the contrary, I went the route of substantiating my claims, just as you did. You can see this in the three topics I opened and shared with you. If you don't agree with me, I would have expected a more concrete reason.

Why should putting pressure on developers be considered childish? If a developer is acting in a way that undermines a promising application like Joplin and is driven by profit, not objecting to it is nothing but a simple mistake that only adults can make.

And how can you expect someone who doesn't know how to code to fork an application?

In case anybody is still reading this thread. There is a very nice app for Android sorry there's nothing available in this manner for iphone.

A app called roundsync, which is an Android app hosted on GitHub that utilizes the open source program rclone synchronize data between an Android phone and a Cloud Drive of any type. You can create a task and schedule that task so that synchronization will take place however frequently you want it to once every hour once a day or anything in between. This way when you open Joplin the next time all of your data is local and there's no need to begin synchronizing when you launch the app.

1 Like

I downloaded the APK file but couldn't install it. Also, the application looks complicated. Could you explain how to set up background synchronization for Joplin after installation?

Check to make sure that the file that you downloaded is the correct APK for your phone's processor. For example if you downloaded the version that requires version arm8 processor then it won't work on a version 7 arm processor.
There is also an Intel version in there I believe so double check and make sure that you have the right APK for your processor.

You need to match up the APK with your processor. That is often the problem that people run into. Also. What phone brand and Os version are you running?

After the program is installed you create a new remote that points to your Cloud Drive where your files are stored. They support many types of cloud drives including SFTP Google Microsoft pcloud and others.

When you choose to create a new remote it first asks you what type of Drive you're connecting to and then walks you through the process to add your user ID and password Etc. After the remote is created and can access your files you select the next option in the menu to create a task that will synchronize the files between your phone and the Cloud Server. The third step is to schedule that task to run at whatever interval you wanted to.

Personally, I have files on my phone syncing with:

Microsoft
Google
Pcloud
Backblaze
Mega
Sftp
Windows smb

If you want to host the files on your own server at home you can put them on a PC running Windows or Linux or Mac and then set up the free version of tail scale VPN. There is an app in each App Store and apps for Windows Linux and Mac.

This will let your cell phone talk to your PC at home no matter where you are on the internet.

For safe keepings it's best to use a Cloud Drive of some sort. I have a $1.99 storage at Google and the same at Microsoft.they both work.

I have even tested the included free open SSH server to create my own SFTP server on a Windows computer at home and can sync with that if I wish to. There are a variety of places you can store your data if you use roundsync and tailscale VPN.

Thank you very much for your detailed writing. I installed the application. It seems it's required for V8a. There's no issue regarding that anymore. I don't want to ask too much of you. But could you explain how to configure the application for syncthing synchronization in Joplin? This would be important not just for me but for everyone using syncthing.

Are you referring to Roundsync, which is what we have been chatting about today, or Syncthing, which is very different?

1. Roundsync is client/server.
  2. Syncthng is peer to peer.

You can leave syncthing running in the background all the time on whatever platform OS you're using and every time Joplin writes to the files in its data directory they will be automatically synced in the background to other devices.

For these programs what you will choose to do is not synchronize the files in Joplin but store them locally. Then, you can sync with rclone/roundsync to wherever you have your data.

Roundsync is a program that synchronizes between your phone and a Cloud Drive of some sort or a PC sharing a folder. Syncthing is a peer-to-peer file synchronization program that may not be as good a choice although I've seen a tutorial guide on doing just that.

What's nice about roundsync is that it is based on rclone and that's a program that you can run on Windows Linux and Mac so that you can take your local data and synchronize it to your central Repository.

Right now I am working on and am behind schedule putting together a presentation I'm giving on Wednesday so I won't have time to do any simulation testing until after Wednesday.

Thank you very much. I think I didn't express myself well. I can synchronize my Joplin notes between my computer and phone using Syncthing. While doing this, I was asking if I could perform this synchronization in the background, i.e., without using the phone, using Roundsync. If the answer is yes, I would be very happy if you could explain how to set this up in the Roundsync application. Because I couldn't find a guide on YouTube or elsewhere.

Best of luck with your presentation!

Roundsync is your phone.

Okay, your data is on your PC so what you can do is share that folder using Microsoft SMB file sharing and then have Roundsync synchronize with that SMB share.

Personally, I prefer SFTP which comes with Microsoft Windows as an optional component for Windows that you can add using the settings program. SMB works fine too. If you're interested in SFTP on Windows there is a nice document from Microsoft that covers the setup.

Roundsync won't synchronize immediately upon editing files in Joplin. It's only option is to choose a repeating schedule such as every 15 minutes or every hour. If you run the app which is what I do you can choose to hit one button and it will launch the synchronization task.

I connect my cell phone to my home network computers using the tailscale peer-to-peer VPN which is free and totally amazing.

How to install microsoft openssh server to add SFTP server access.