1.4.15 - error during start - white window

dev 0bc53dc06

When starting the app via npm run start I only see a white window and the following erroe in the console:

main-html.js:48 Error: Could not call remote method 'setSpellCheckerLanguages'. Check that the method signature is correct. Underlying error: Error processing argument at index 0, conversion failure from 
Underlying stack: TypeError: Error processing argument at index 0, conversion failure from 
    at electron/js2c/browser_init.js:213:7789
    at IpcMainImpl.<anonymous> (electron/js2c/browser_init.js:213:4246)
    at IpcMainImpl.emit (events.js:310:20)
    at WebContents.<anonymous> (electron/js2c/browser_init.js:157:8848)
    at WebContents.emit (events.js:310:20)

at electron/js2c/browser_init.js:213:7817
    at IpcMainImpl.<anonymous> (electron/js2c/browser_init.js:213:4246)
    at IpcMainImpl.emit (events.js:310:20)
    at WebContents.<anonymous> (electron/js2c/browser_init.js:157:8848)
    at WebContents.emit (events.js:310:20)
output.<computed> @ main-html.js:48
main-html.js:48 

Ok should be fixed in next release.

I didn't have any issues with the pre-release, but I wasn't using spell checker, so I certainly missed all bugs that related to spellchecking.
The only thing I missed was the bug that was reported by dpoulton (case sensitive notebook and note list sorting).

Don't be discouraged. This release was huge and there were bound to be some edge cases that weren't caught by the test cases. Also, a lot of refactoring was done, so side effects are also possible.
As long as my notes are safe, I'm not worried. It will take time to fix those issues, but hey - that's ok.

2 Likes

No actually it's just another bug I introduced when I've fixed the issue with "English (India)" language. I notice that what's falling apart is the native part, like spell checker or Electron issues that we can't really unit test, and that makes the release a bit stressful.

I wonder if I should perhaps keep releases smaller in size and so make actual releases (not pre-releases) more frequently as no matter what it seems crashes and bugs are inevitable once many users start using the new version. At least if releases are smaller it's easier to manage I guess.

Smaller releases certainly makes sense.

Also, now with people being able to write plugins a lot of the feature requests can be done via plugins thus it's easier to concentrate on fixing bugs and maybe 1 or 2 things that should go into the core.
(At one point you might even decide to change some code that is currently in the core into plugins. But this is not something that has to happen right away - and it can be done gradually.)

Or maybe just add some trivial things for the next release like adding class names for the most requested elements and a UI popup to create links between notes. Those are just examples, but I think you know what I mean.