Who can help make an Evernote style CSS file?

verison 2.4.9 windows 10 x64
I know that the display style of notes can be changed by modifying userstyle.css.
But I'm not a developer.
Who can help make an Evernote style CSS file? Including fonts, line spacing, paragraph spacing, lists, checkboxes, tables, and so on.
After using Evernote for more than 10 years, I always feel that Joplin's note taking interface is not as comfortable as Evernote.

2 Likes

I'm not a developer either but you really don't need to be - at least not to make some very basic changes.
There are good resources on the forums about the userstyle and userchrome CSS that is worth having a look through. You can even have a look at themes that others have made and see how they did it.

• The CSS wiki is good for general info about how to do some specific things.
  • The Share your CSS thread has a lot of info about how to style certain areas as well as lots of examples of themes people have made.

If you have any particular questions people are usually willing to help out.

I never knew there's actually a CSS Wiki for this. I think we should add a link to it somewhere.

Could you share some high res screen shots? It's funny that no one has ever done this before.

I never used Evernote so I have no idea what it looks like. But it sounds like a fun project.

1 Like

Yes can be in the readme even if it starts to be a nice size :wink:

1 Like

Worth noting that Evernote went through a very contentious redesign from the older app with more features to a far more limited electron based app which drove a lot of people away. I've taken a shot from the new electron app with the basic formatting features. The older app looks much more like Joplin currently does.
I don't think the editor part of it is anything special, there are elements of the UI I do like though.

1 Like

Honestly, it looks really close to joplin to me.

Hello guys, I hope to help ;D

Purpose

I am creating my own version of Joplin with the Evernote concept, I would like to know what the community thinks about this initial idea. I liked this topic and would like to help with the visual elaboration of Joplin (theme) similar to Evernote, I think it would make Joplin adoption much easier.

Solution

Source-code from pastebin

Frameworks used

Initial ideas I had to create the layout

Notes

1. If you want I can improve it; D
  2. I would like to include this topic as a complementary part of my problem regarding joplin table data which in my view is not as good as Evernote.
  3. For now, my concerns and possible collaborations to solve some problems are these:
  4. There are still some details missing, but is this the initial idea. So, what does the community (you) think of my idea?
  5. I would like to help in joplin and whatever is needed and/or useful for everyone
  6. Do you want a style like evernote or something like that?

References

1 Like

Do you mean as a Joplin competitor or something like an alternate client? Or just a "dev" version with a view to merge with the official release?
For example the request to have a "summary" of each note in the notes panel has been requested more than a handful of times and I think that is probably the main thing that people miss (in terms of UI/UX) migrating from Evernote to Joplin.

Otherwise as a standalone "theme" I really like it, ideally with some of the new changes it might be possible to release this (sans anything not supported by the API/CSS etc.) as a plugin theme like the macOS theme - Plugin: 🎨 macOS theme for Joplin

1 Like

Do you mean a Joplin competitor or something like an alternative customer?

R- No. I'm worried about some user experience and graphical interface details in Joplin, my intention is not to make another note app competing with Joplin or Evernote. My concern is to help Joplin with some ideas:

• I would like joplin's official website to have support for several languages, this could be done easily, translating for example the files in markdown or even transforming the site into an html module type file like pug.
  • The joplin table structure stretches and this is very strange, I feel that when I use the joplin table I am using an image and not a table structure real. There are several table frameworks, you can use react-sheets or react-spreadsheets. Or even if you find it interesting to make one from scratch. As I already suggested a table change, I'm adding a framework that does this in Joplin. Therefore, anyone using Joplin can have a great user experience.

Notes

• These two changes will make Joplin internationalize, that is, accessible to the whole world. After all, if the site supports multiple languages, it's easy to know what the app is or should be. The second change would be table related, which would make users happy to put table data with Joplin.
  • These changes will make Joplin a viable competitor to Evernote, I'm not saying that Evernote is bad or that Joplin is bad, I'm talking about whether Joplin adopts these changes in the future or today, it might be viable for Joplin to be a competitor because they exist features that everyone likes and prefers. And if that happens, some might quit Evernote and prefer Joplin.
  • I think Joplin is better than Evernote because it's open source software and everyone can help make it better.

Or just a "dev" version to merge with the official release?

R- These ideas don't change Joplin in any way, they just add two features: a better table in terms of user experience and graphical interface. And the second idea, internationalization on Joplin's official website.

Otherwise as a standalone "theme" I really like it, ideally with some of the new changes it might be possible to release this (sans anything not supported by the API/CSS etc.) as a plugin theme like the macOS theme.

R- About the Joplin theme, I believe it could be a standalone theme. Yeah, like a theme. Yeah, ideally with some of the new changes it might be possible to release this (sans anything not supported by the API/CSS etc.) as a plugin theme like the macOS theme.
You're right ;D

Worth noting that I'm not commenting on the internationalisation and table proposals, they have their own topics, purely the layout/theme proposals in line with the title of this topic i.e. make Joplin have more of an Evernote-ish look and feel which to me boils down to:

• Summary section in note panel
  • Additional filters in notebooks panel
  • Move of search/new note controls from notes panel to notebook panel
  • A more minimal overall design
  • Different button styles + icon family

The reason I was asking if this was a fork or a potential contribution to the main code base is that I'm not 100% sure that all of this is currently achievable using the current API and or theming options, although I'm more than happy to be proved wrong.
For example the "shortcuts" menu can be mostly replicated via the "favourites" plugin - GitHub - benji300/joplin-favorites: Save any notebook, note, to-do, tag, or search as favorite in an extra panel view for quick access. - so it would either need to be incorporated into the main app, made a dependency or have its functionality duplicated.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, what you said makes perfect sense. These features are good:

• Summary section in note panel
  • Additional filters in notebooks panel
  • Move of search/new note controls from notes panel to notebook panel
  • A more minimal overall design
  • Different button styles + icon family

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.