Web Clipper is now available (BETA feature)

Is any work being done on adding the source URL of clipped note as a clickable link in the desktop version? I know it’s availble as saved metadata as a note, but not available in the desktop application.

1 Like

it’s planed

1 Like

will it be possible to improve the API so we could use this ? :slight_smile:

curl http://127.0.0.1:41184/notes               # to get all the notes of its joplin app
curl http://127.0.0.1:41184/notes/folderA       # to get all the notes of its joplin app in folderA
curl http://127.0.0.1:41184/notes/tagA          # to get all the notes of its joplin app with tagA
1 Like

Not currently, mostly due to security reasons. At the moment, we only expose the folders and allow creating notes, so even if another app try to access the API it won’t be able to do much.

However, if we give access to all the notes, there’s the potential of stealing data. For that reason, before doing any such change, some access control will need to be implemented.

2 Likes

I understand, even if there is not a lot of way to get access to our joplin-data (except by installing something in our back for example), Since my first request about api, a lot have been done, and I thank you for that;) I'll wait the access control implementation :slight_smile:

I don't know how I feel about this whole thing. After all, the Joplin APIs will run only as long as Joplin itself does (which I think is the correct behavior.) Since APIs are mostly useful for tasks running in the background, wouldn't this be a problem?

From where I'm standing, it seems best to have them separated. If you really need this functionality, you could whip up a quick web app (knowing @foxmask, it would be in Python :slight_smile: ) that would accept a request and then do the necessary operations with the CLI Joplin.

Another question is how many people would use such a thing and whether it balances the considerable implementation cost.

(I have actually thought about doing something like this: I do run an unbuntu server already, so I could sync cli joplin there and expose an api; then I realized it's not worth the hassle and now I can't even remember why I wanted it in the first place. :smiley: )

From where I’m standing, it seems best to have them separated

it depends on

• the author's choices :slight_smile:
  • the architecture of the project

Another question is how many people would use such a thing and whether it balances the considerable implementation cost.

if we ask ourself the question, we do not do anything at all :slight_smile:
there are so many things in the project I don't use that could enter in that case and are useful for others
Again it's the author's choice :slight_smile:

if I could I'll propose something but as I can't, I fade away and wait the moment when that will be possible.
As long as there is another solution (with the cli), there is no problem, the life is beautiful :smiley:

Haha don't worry I'm not suggesting that adding this feature would ruin the software completely and forever HURR DURR. :slight_smile:

By the way, I have since remembered what my intended use case was: I wanted to add notes via IFTTT or Flow like I now do into Evernote.

Though the solution described above would be perfectly acceptable, and still not important enough for me to bother with. :joy:

And if anyone else wanted this feature, I'd genuinely be interested in their use case. :slight_smile:

Brand new user of Joplin - so happy!

The only downside is that I am experiencing the problem in Firefox w ith the OK button disappearing from the bottom of the screen. I’m using Windows 10. Is there any workaround to this bug yet?

Thanks for your generosity, Laurent. I look forward to donating when I have some money.

The Web Clipper is the killer feature for me (well, also the ability to store images and not just text). My daily computer runs ChromeOS. While I’m sure their is probably a way to install the Linux client, I’d much prefer to be able to have the web clipper extension grab stuff and submit to a client running on a different computer. Then using the web interface that I see is in development would allow me to interact with the content. Any chance of the clipper being able to clip to a remote client instead of a local one?

There's currently no headless server available. I think @laurent worked on it in a separate branch at one point. I don't know the current status.

A server would be ideal, but even having a client on a different computer somehow accept clips from a different computer would be a start.

Currently there’s no encryption locally.

However, as soon as you have a client/server concept or an API which is accessible remotely the data flow must be encrypted. Since the current implementation does not encrypt API access I doubt that remote access will be made available.

I do think it's best to leave unsecured APIs on localhost only.

However @jpfieber, if you know what you're doing, you probably could put it behind a reverse proxy and even secure it. :thinking:

Unfortunately, I don’t know what I’m doing…

Hmm, I doubt it. The clipper connects via http requests thus using a reverse proxy with TLS won't work, since you can't tell the clipper to use https instead. But maybe I'm wrong.

When I fill in a text area in a web form and select the text, I can’t seem to get it into the web clipper. As soon as the clipper opens the text area loses focus and selection.
Selecting non-form texts works.
Is this a known restriction?
Web clipper 1.0.8 in Firefox 63.0.3 on Fedora 27.

It wasn't but now it is :slight_smile: Any chance you could add this as an issue on GitHub?

Would it be possible to clip screenshots of pdf files open in google chrome?