Toc as the sidebar

I saw your note, but I wasn’t sure how to target / use that with CSS. Would love to learn more, seems like your way is much cleaner.

You just need to insert that in the note instead of [[toc]] or whatever you use to insert the toc

1 Like

Sorry if I’m not clear

this is a brilliant solution to the TOC! @davidpoza , to let more user use this, I think this should be added in the Edit menu -> Insert TOC and set it to the floating design as the default for less technical users.For advanced users they can still customize the userstyle.css manually.

Ah, now I understand, that is great! I thought you meant I had to modify the app code, your way is very easy.

It looks like maybe you can even leave off the listType definition to make it shorter:
$<toc{"level":[2,3]}>

Thank you for clarifying!

2 Likes

This version made the scroll bar inactive when the editor was hidden. For this reason I have gone with the version from @uar for the moment. The whole idea is excellent though, and thank you both, and everyone else who has added ideas.

Owen

I really like having a TOC in my longer notes, but have to have it hidden by default using:

<details markdown='1'>
<summary>Table of Contents</summary>
[[toc]]
</details>

Since I also like having the split view. And having a TOC will make the scroll position of the editor vs the viewer be out of sync.
Does anyone know of a better solution for that? (Having the editor and viewer scroll position be in sync when a TOC has been added)

4 Likes

that’s a good solution!

Hi

Really interested in this one, but can get it working.
I am a web dev so I know CSS and have done the restart after editing.

So what could going wrong?

Thanks

@bartatgithub

I have found that I need an empty line between the closing </summary> tag and the [[TOC]] marker.

<details markdown='1'>
<summary>Table of Contents</summary>

[[TOC]]
</details>

Also no restart is required as this is put at the top of each note in which you want to use it, not in a CSS file.

1 Like

did you put [toc] at the beginning of the note?

Forgotten this one. Thanks meanwhile it works.

It is also one of the existing features of the vscode editor. . .

I just modified the codes above you guys developed for my own taste

I'm a css beginner so there might be some redundant code. check it before use hits

nav.table-of-contents ul {
	list-style-type: none;
	margin-top: 0px;
	margin-bottom: 0px;
}

nav.table-of-contents>ul {

top: 5px;
	right: 0px;
	z-index: 99;

font-size: 12px;
	position: fixed;
	padding: 15px;

border-radius: 10px 0px 0px 10px;
	margin: 0px;

overflow: hidden;
	height: 90%;
	width: 5px;
	transition: .2s;
}

nav.table-of-contents::after {
	content: "[TOC - move your cursor to the right edge]";
	color: black;
}

nav.table-of-contents>ul:hover {
	background: #F8F8F8;
	box-shadow: -5px 0px 10px 0px rgba(0,0,0,0.15);

width: 30%;
	color: none;
	overflow: scroll;
}

nav.table-of-contents>ul:hover::before {
	content: "TABLE OF CONTENTS"
}

nav.table-of-contents>ul:hover li {
	display: list-item;
}

nav.table-of-contents li {
	display: none;
	white-space: nowrap;
	overflow: hidden;
	margin: 0px;
	padding: 0px;
}

#rendered-md {
	width: 100%;
	}
}
31 Likes

This TOC is really cool. How do I get this work please? Is just he CSS needed, or do I need to do something else?

This is awesome @moonlygreat! Switched over to use yours.

@Dave this is a CSS only hack. From preference > appearances add that css to "custom stylesheet for rendered markdown". Note, you will need to have a [toc] somewhere in your note for this to display. Basically it takes the rendered TOC and hides it until you hover over the right side of the app.

4 Likes

thanks :relieved: cause it’s only for me, it might not be compatible with other themes or views

i hope someone can improve this :joy:

2 Likes

@moonlygreat

"Stole" this one immediately!

That is some really clever work. Thanks for sharing it!

1 Like

Love it too, it’s already adopted, thank you @moonlygreat

This is absolutely brilliant! Thank you so much, everyone!!