Tags - Lower Case Only?

Example: I have tagged some notes with tricks, other with trick, perhaps some with tips.
Or todo vs. "to-do" (vs. ToDo / TODO / etc. if case is differentiated).
I might want to transform trick and tips tags into tricks one, to "merge" them, somehow. Can be named "search / replace tag name with another", or just "rename" and the notes with previously different tags will have the same.

@PhiLho

I take it that you are suggesting a method that could be created for merging? I was referring to @laurent 's comment that implies merging can be undertaken now.

To the best of my knowledge there is no search / replace of any kind in Joplin and renaming a tag to one that already exists creates an error.

rename

I suppose that the error is because you cannot have a two different tag ids relating to the same tag name.

1 Like

Yes.
Indeed, I might have not understood your question, but my remark can be taken as a suggestion for a better tag management.
People are not always consistent, and sometime might want to tidy up their tag soup.
It can be done, although in limited and sometime frustrating ways, in Simplenote (I come from there, much happier with Joplin, overall).

I tried in Evernote (I come from there). It cannot be done. Not sure how Simplenote do that.

If you want to merge all the notes with trick tag and all the notes with tips tag, currently, what you can do (both in Joplin and Evernote) is, in tag view, select trick tag. Select all the notes (highlight all of them), key/select tricks tag, remove trick tag.

Repeat the same for notes with tips tag.

These will merge/rename all your notes with trick and tips tags into tricks tag.

See if this works for you.

lowercase forced by joplin affects my way of using tags, as I migrate form Evernote after 11 years of using it, I miss not only being able to tag accordingly to my preference, but more important is LACK of tag hierarchy. No tree tag means no tree tag filtering - the same problem as with no recursive notebook view means no notebook grouping :frowning:
I use A LOT of tags, have only 20-something of notebooks but HUNDREDS of tags, in Evernote organized in hierarchy. In joplin it is all FLAT...

1 Like

We had to revert the nested tags code because of performance issues. If you read through the forum and the PR you will see that the author is currently busy with other stuff, but plans to look into it again, when he's got more time.

1 Like

I believe in open-source effort more than in current Evernote management decisions, so yes, I am looking forward!
Thanks for great piece of software.

3 Likes

I was surprised to see that the capitalized tags that were imported from Evernote become lowercase when editing. Is this normal behavior?

Any creation or editing of tags in Joplin will force the tags to lowercase. The only loophole to have capitalized tags is to imported it from Evernote.

Let me add my 2¢: allowing case differentiation in tags is not just about aesthetics. It's about readability (coming from a book designer). Granted: it's not a Mount Everest among the issues because tags are rather short so most people won't even be able to notice the difference, but readability problem is there. The thing is that when we read, we don't read words letter-by-letter, we read the whole words or even clusters of words at once. It's because in all actuality we remember shapes of the whole words, much like Japanese remember their kanji (the difference is that in our case, if we don't recognize the whole “shape” we have a fall-back mechanism in form of known single characters).

Somebody mentioned acronyms like “RFC” feeling weird. It's not just “feeling weird”. In fact it's common for us to look for a specific shape formed in this case by upper-case letters. Let's take a list:

• Linux
  • Windows
  • SIP
  • html
  • JSON
  • bat
  • rfc
  • xml
  • Text
  • RFC
  • CSS
  • txt
  • json
  • Hiragana
  • Kanji
  • Latin

Which “rfc” is easier to identify and locate? Which “stands out” more? The one that does is the one we're accustomed to link with the concept of that acronym in our mind and that one is simply faster.

IF YOU NEED MORE PROOF, THAT WE ARE READING MOSTLY BY IDENTIFYING COMPLETE SHAPES OF THE WHOLE WORDS, THEN TRY TO READ THIS :}. COMFY? I BET NOT! :} SLOWER, ISN'T IT? AND THAT'S ONLY A COUPLE OF WORDS. IMAGINE IT'S LONGER AND PUT IN AN UNBECOMING BLOCK. READABLE? CERTAINLY! BUT READING IT IS NOT A PLEASURE AT ALL :}.

That's it :}

Oh! And @dpoulton: “Furthermore, I consider that Carthage must be destroyed” ;}

7 Likes

We hope he finds sometime soon to fix it. Othewise, would it be unethical if anyone else steps in to fix it? I'm not a progammer so I don't know how things are done.

Are there any updates on this?

The fact that so many users are requesting this to be changed, proves that this is not the case. I'm willing to bet that far more users would rather have upper case support than preemtive duplicate tag prevention (which is something the user can find and resolve manually)

At the very least, this decision should be left to the user via a settings option

I'm under the impression that the rationale is no longer a problem. The problem seems to be lack of time to do the implementation :smiley:

+1 keep tags lower case as that's the de facto industry standard.

What industry are you referring to?

If you are referring to the "note-taking app industry", then Evernote is a rather dominant player that many try to emulate, yet ...

Evernote

1 Like

I don’t use tags so it doesn’t matter to me but if I did it would really irritate me. I’m old enough to remember terminals that only had upper case and we therefore had to program in capitals. What a relief when kit was designed that could handle lower case as well.
It is just plain wrong in 2021 to insist you can’t use mixed case - programmers dictating to users - not good.

3 Likes

I think by now it is quite clear that in this case we do have both yay- and nay-sayers, so an option to choose specific behaviour appears to be the most sensible solution.

Might also make things extra complicated to have that option (if you were in fact talking about a checkbox option). All things being equal, I'd say if you are against using capital letters for tags then don't use capital letters. So far Joplin is a personal app, eh?

I work a lot with WordPress and there tags can have capital letters but I don't believe they are case sensitive. I think this is probably the case for many website cms's. If you look at the topic tags at the bottom of web articles they are always in correct case.

As a separate issue, it would be great to have some kind of tag management/cleanup interface.

2 Likes