Sync Issue and log.txt

Joplin 1.0.218 on macOS 10.14.6

Hi,

I’ve had a OneDrive Sync issue of encrypted notes across platforms – Mac, Win, Android.

While investigating on my mac desktop I found that the log.txt file is ~15Gb. On the Windows machine the log.txt file is ~24Mb.

The Console error msg:

And the error msg reported above the ‘Synchronisation’ button (bottom left corner of the app):

Last error: Error: Missing required property: type_: id: aa90b6c0d8e747a5a316774d239e9f2f parent_id: 8126d475e63d4f4e8af99ca95ce6be49 created_time: updated_time: 2020-05-14T12:19:58.155Z is_conflict: latitude: longitude: altitude: author: source_url: is_todo: todo_due: todo_completed: source: source_application: application_data: order: user_created_time: user_updated_time:

UPDATE: I’ve deleted the log.txt file and Toggle Development Tools is unchecked. I’ve also removed flags.txt - will keep monitoring size of log.txt file.

Any ideas about what’s causing this?

Hi,

I experienced the same issue recently. I am using a nextcloud 19 instance to sync my notes and I am on the latest version of joplin desktop on windows 1.0.244 (portable).

I can create new notes and sync them successfully. I also can see the files appearing in my nextcloud instance. When I later change the created note and want to sync, I get the same error as you get.

`Last error: Error: Missing required property: type_: id: 5924a4c7a0ab457da8345f2d9d642f54 parent_id: 0a8e975c8c61478195966132bd7723a9 created_time: updated_time: 2020-06-25T13:52:21.947Z is_conflict: latitude: longitude: altitude: author: source_url: is_todo: todo_due: todo_completed: source: source_application: application_data: order: user_created_time: user_updated_time: encryption_cipher_text: JED01000022056474096aa51e4433b96802404ee0dab100058c{"iv":"YcRNvr13uzW5tfBDk/jaeg==","v":1,"iter`

For now my workaround is to copy the text and paste it in a fresh new note. After deleting the note, the sync works fine. Unfortunately, that’s not sustainable long term. Is there anything I can provide in terms of log-files to analyze this issue?

Update: Forgot to mention that I have encryption enabled as well and that my log.txt also grew to 20MB

What do you sync the notes with? We had some bug in the Android version that could cause notes to be truncated but it was fixed a while back.

I have been syncing with the android client 1.0.331 and also the latest client for linux. However, to better understand whats happening I did not sync actively with those devices. The issue comes up even without syncing with those clients.
I found this post which actually better fits with what happens Sync error: "Missing required property: type_:"

After editing the same note again, the issue occurs.

Could you upload somewhere an example of note that shows this problem?

Of course. Attached is the note from the first sync on the sync target nextcloud. That was the first successful upload of the note.
c41e84eaacf7444d9f58b63b1390e851.md (1.7 KB)

After a few changes, I now get the error as posted earlier.

I actually do not know where to find the *.md file locally. On nextcloud it is still the first version as linked above. I did download the .jex of the note however which is also attached.

Joplin Test Note V1.jex (2.5 KB)

I did a bit more testing.

• Removed the Joplin folder from Nextcloud
  • removed the profile from the windows portable client and made sure that the android client is not running by accident.
  • started with a fresh new Joplin profile and imported my .jex backup
  • enabled encryption
  • waited until the entire backup was synced again
  • modified some note and the issue occurred again

The same happened with a fresh profile without using the backup (with encryption enabled). Also here I can reproduce the issue.

Last but not least I disabled the encryption of the fresh profile and without the backup. Also here i can reproduce the error by changing notes.

Hope that helps

I could not reproduce it using your steps.

@roman_r_m Do you have a nextcloud 19 instance as a sync backend?

I actually did some more testing. This time with a fresh profile of the latest Linux client. One time with sync option “Nextcloud” and one time with sync option “WebDAV”. In both cases I am able to reproduce the issue and I get more and more the feeling that it is the combination of Joplin and Nextcloud 19.

@laurent I am also happy to provide you a test account on my instance, if you would like to look into it.

@srebbe, yes if you could send me some test credentials in PM that might help, especially if you can replicate it consistently with your server.

No, mine is 17.0.0. I should probably update.

I confirm it’s a bug in Nextcloud, so I’ll recommend not to update till they fix this!

i’d wait until 19.0.1 is released. couple of other irritating bugs getting fixed also.

While I certainly like the product Nextcloud, I have been very vocal about their QA and priorities. They add half-baked features, but can’t fix conceptional issues or take care of the essential base services like sharing. It’s embarrassing actually.
But whenever I open an issue with them, I get scolded for asking them to fix essential issues first. Thus I gave up on reporting any issues with Nextcloud at all. I patch some of the stuff myself and every time I update nc, I apply my patches. There are still issues open that are 6 years old and don’t have a fix. What a mess.

1 Like

Yes and I wonder if they’re over stretching themselves. There’s a commercial element to Nextcloud so I get the feeling they’re pushing a lot to get enterprise features like conference calls working but as a result core features like caching, sharing or indeed not corrupting user files are being neglected.

Unfortunately I feel their API is also a bit neglected, which makes it hard to develop for their platform.

I wish they’ll freeze a bit need features and clean up and fix what they have now.

Still receiving the error msg following sync on startup and I’m using M$ OneDrive:

Completed: 03/07/2020 12:43

Last error: Error: Missing required property: type_: id: aa90b6c0d8e747a5a316774d239e9f2f parent_id: 8126d475e63d4f4e8af99ca95ce6be49 created_time: updated_time: 2020-05-14T12:19:58.155Z is_conflict: latitude: longitude: altitude: author: source_url: is_todo: todo_due: todo_completed: source: source_application: application_data: order: user_created_time: user_updated_time: encryption_cipher_text

Also, the log.txt file continues to increase in size following delete and restart – currently 1.8 Gb.

I’ve deleted the Android client – to check if that was related to the problems and currently using Joplin on Mac and Windows machines – but no effect.

Couldn’t agree more. I like the product but the focus should be on file sync rather then an entire app ecosystem.
Browsed also through their github issues and found one related issue mine so I decided not to open another one. Rather than waiting for 19.0.1 I decided to downgrade to 18.0.6 as more webdav clients stopped working correctly. Can only recommend not to update for now.

Again, thanks for looking into it.

They release a major version, which breaks all WebDAV clients. Their own sync client uses WebDAV. I’m stunned how they always manage to break something big in a major release. Even more stunned that the QA process doesn’t catch these basic things.

Ok, enough ranting. Woosah

This thread has veered into a discussion about NextCloud, however the original post was about a sync problem encountered in One Drive and whether a >15Gb log.txt file represents a program error.

The issues of large log.txt file in the macOS Joplin client and the error on sync issues remain unanswered.

I am experiencing the same issue with syncing to OneDrive. I need ideas on where to start looking so I can decide if I just delete the data that is causing the issue. Or is this a problem with the app itself?

Different from the other posters, I do not sync with other devices. I just use the sync to backup to OneDrive. Any suggestions on where to begin looking? Like what part of the error tells me which of my notes is causing the issue?

`Last error: Error: Missing required property: type_: id: f80d759e899e4d508c6c0c3966a728e6 parent_id: e6fa745efa094fef979add19be2ea9d6 created_time: updated_time: 2020-08-10T14:27:49.915Z is_conflict: latitude: longitude: altitude: author: source_url: is_todo: todo_due: todo_completed: source: source_application: application_data: order: user_created_time: user_updated_time: encryption_cipher_text: `