Spellcheck User Dictionary Suggestions

Joplin 1.4.12 (prod, win32)
Sync Version: 2
Profile Version: 34
Keychain Supported: Yes
Revision: 0f0c50a17 (master)

Been trying out the spellchecker with the Markdown editor and no problems have been found. As I have gone through the my notes I have added many, many words to my user dictionary. I did not fancy doing that all over again on every desktop client so I thought I would just copy across the user dictionary from one machine to the other. Eventually I found it at:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\@joplin\app-desktop\Custom Dictionary.txt

Not looked on Linux yet...

I copied it to the same location on another Windows client and it worked.

I had also added a word that I shouldn't have added. There currently does not appear to be a way to edit the user dictionary through Joplin. When opening Custom Dictionary.txt it was apparent that the file contents have been "checksummed". I deleted the word and found that the file was replaced by a backup copy of the dictionary (current up to the last addition) found in the same folder, effectively putting the word back. I assume that this was triggered by the checksum failure. The checksum appears to be MD5 (16 bytes) but I have not yet had any luck in manually calculating one that the spellchecker will accept.

I can imagine that over time this file could become very important to users as they personalise their dictionaries. It is not something that I would like to undertake again from the beginning...

Suggestions for consideration / future development:

• Adding the ability to edit the user dictionary.
  • Any plans to develop a Joplin backup package should include this file.
  • It would be useful if it was possible to sync this data between clients automatically so that adding a word in any client would propogate to all the user's clients. I am guessing that this one would not be an easy task but I just thought I would mention it as I am sure others will!!
1 Like

Although this is 8 months old, I've just started using Spell Check and include the Linux path for others who may want to backup their custom dictionary:

$HOME'/.config/@joplin/app-desktop/Custom Dictionary.txt'