Home / GitHub Page

Search tool show full notebook path

Hi,

Now that I have more a more documents written in Joplin, because is a wonderful tool that I enjoy to use, I have a feature request that will make my life a bit easier, and potentially other people’s life too.

I’m talking about the search functionality, that works like a charm, but when you have a notebook structure like mine, is a bit of a mess:

• Technologies
    • Java
      • Documentation
      • Examples
    • Python
      • Documentation
      • Examples
  • Work
    • Task
      • Documentation

If you see in the example above, there are multiple “Documentation” notebooks, and when I use the search box, it shows in the result that the selected note belongs to the “Documentation” notebook, but I don’t know which one is the root folder, so then I have to go through all the notebooks manually searching for it.

I think it should be quite easy to implement to show the whole notebook path like:
Technologies > Java > Documentation

Is this something reachable?

Thanks

4 Likes

I am affected by this as well. I have repeated notes in a similar way so that searches for those terms are very confusing exactly as described in this. I essentially just accepted it and never search for those terms which I admit is a terrible solution and I would much rather it display the full path like you suggest. :smiley:

I like that it does show the direct folder it is in but if it showed the full path it would be much better for context checking.

0 Likes

and as an extra goal, if the path could be clickable, it would be great!

4 Likes

That would be great. I’d really like Joplin to have a way of quickly getting to the notebook that holds a note found by searching. It’s a feature I often used in Evernote.

0 Likes

I like the idea. It should be rather easy to get the full path. But I am not sure how to make it clickable. I’m not good with UI stuff.

@laurent, would you accept a PR that shows the full notebook path?

0 Likes

A clickable Path would be a great relief. Sometimes it takes me a long time to find the location of a note.

0 Likes

This has already been added to the code by @laurent and will be available in the next release.
It doesn’t show the full path though, but when you click on it the folder and note is opened.

0 Likes

Clickable path and Go to Anything in 1.0.142 are super. Joplin is getting better and better. Great work!

0 Likes