S3 will not sync from a new PC with Joplin Portable

Operating system

Windows

Joplin version

2.12.19

Sync target

S3

What issue do you have?

Why would it be getting rejected on one PC and not on others using the same credentials?

I have a portable installation that I copied to a new PC. Nothing that I can see has changed, but it will not authenticate to S3. None of the credentials have changed, and my original PC, phone, etc. still sync using the credentials. I've tried deleting tmp and cache folders. Logs only show that the bucket failed. This should work right? There's nothing I need to add or remove when copying to a new system?

Log output:

2023-11-29 00:17:16: "Scheduling sync operation...", "0"
2023-11-29 00:17:16: "Preparing scheduled sync"
2023-11-29 00:17:16: "Starting scheduled sync"
2023-11-29 00:17:16: Synchronizer: "Sync: starting: Starting synchronisation to target 8... supportsAccurateTimestamp = false; supportsMultiPut = false [1701245836430]"
2023-11-29 00:17:16: Synchronizer: "Indexing resources..."
2023-11-29 00:17:16: "ResourceService::indexNoteResources: Start"
2023-11-29 00:17:16: "ResourceService::indexNoteResources: Completed"
2023-11-29 00:17:16: models/Folder: "updateFolderShareIds:", "{"shareUpdateCount":0,"unshareUpdateCount":0}"
2023-11-29 00:17:16: models/Folder: "updateNoteShareIds: notes to update:", "0"
2023-11-29 00:17:16: FileApi: "get info.json"
2023-11-29 00:17:16: Synchronizer: "Error: Do not have proper permissions to Bucket
Code: rejectedByTarget
Error: Do not have proper permissions to Bucket
at FileApiDriverAmazonS3.get (C:\Users\Frank\AppData\Local\Temp\2X485tIfue1Nx5SvzKiVE0dHCLw\resources\app.asar\node_modules@joplin\lib\file-api-driver-amazon-s3.js:278:12)
at process.processTicksAndRejections (node:internal/process/task_queues:95:5)"
2023-11-29 00:17:16: Synchronizer: "Sync: finished: Synchronisation finished [1701245836430]"
2023-11-29 00:17:16: Synchronizer: "Operations completed: "
2023-11-29 00:17:16: Synchronizer: "Total folders: 257"
2023-11-29 00:17:16: Synchronizer: "Total notes: 1739"
2023-11-29 00:17:16: Synchronizer: "Total resources: 808"
2023-11-29 00:17:16: Synchronizer: "There was some errors:"
2023-11-29 00:17:16: Synchronizer: "Error: Do not have proper permissions to Bucket
Code: rejectedByTarget
Error: Do not have proper permissions to Bucket
at FileApiDriverAmazonS3.get (C:\Users\Frank\AppData\Local\Temp\2X485tIfue1Nx5SvzKiVE0dHCLw\resources\app.asar\node_modules@joplin\lib\file-api-driver-amazon-s3.js:278:12)
at process.processTicksAndRejections (node:internal/process/task_queues:95:5)"
2023-11-29 00:17:16: "Setting up recurrent sync with interval 600"
2023-11-29 00:17:16: "Sync has finished and note has never been changed - reloading it"

I have triple-checked all of my credentials and even made a new one in S3, but the app refuses to work citing "do not have permissions for bucket". I've never had this issue before. It's still working fine of my main PC and phone with the exact same credentials.

Since it's been working fine on everything but this new PC, I am hesitant to mess around with the bucket permissions as they should be fine since the other systems sync with no issue. Does anyone have ANY idea what might be going on with this?

FYI for those who may encounter this in the future. The time zone on the new Windows system was set default to PT and I had not changed it. I am in ET, so when I tested the credentials from S3 in WinSCP it returned an error stating there was too large a of a time difference between the client and the server. I then switched the timezone to ET in Windows and it connected fine in WinSCP. I then tried Joplin and it worked.

My suggestion for Joplin S3 (beta) is to give more descriptive errors in the logs like WinSCP did. Joplin fails with little to no information and did not write anything useful to the logs in regard to the issue.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.