Outline Sidebar in Mobile Apps

I think it would be a useful feature to have an Outline Function similar to the Desktop Outline Plugin (https://github.com/cqroot/joplin-outline) but on the Mobile Apps. For example, when you click on the 3 dots in a note you can select "Outline" as an additional menu item. Then it would list all "Headings" in the document allowing you to jump to the desired heading in the editor. It would make using a larger document on mobile much more feasible and functional. It would be nice if it could work in both "Markdown" mode and "Reader" mode too.

Not sure how technically difficult it would be to implement and not sure if others would find it useful but I'd be interested to hear feedback from the community.

Thanks for this awesome app.

1 Like

This is like, the only feature I want to be added on mobile. Joplin does everything I want, mobile I can forgo the extension but for an outline view.

Currently what I end up doing on my mobile, with my larger documents, rather than adding to a heading I know might exist, trying to find it by scrolling and trying to catch it visually isn't really feasible, especially in the context of a mobile where I need to note something quickly. I just end up making a new document with the extra note, and a reminder to remember to get back to it on the desktop and merge it in with the bigger document.

Currently what I end up doing on my mobile, with my larger documents, rather than adding to a heading I know might exist, trying to find it by scrolling and trying to catch it visually isn't really feasible, especially in the context of a mobile where I need to note something quickly.

A possible alternative solution is adding [toc] to the beginning of notes. For example,

[toc]

# First heading

# Second heading

This auto-generates a table of contents. However, on mobile this can only be used to navigate in the viewer (and not the editor).

And if you want to save space in the viewer, wrap the TOC in an accordion (adapted from this post):

<details>
<summary>Table of Contents</summary>

[toc]
</details>
1 Like