One or more master keys need a password, 1 Sep 2021

Apologize for posting this (again). Apparently, this is a known issue, but the last post was back in Dec'20, so maybe there is a better solution.

I have the latest version of Joplin on Windows, Android phone, iPad, and use encryption that has worked just fine for the last two years. After the last update (Joplin 2.4.4 (prod, win32)), I received that orange banner saying "One or more master keys need a password". If I click on it, I see that my (single) master key is valid, but then there is one "missing" and no prompt to perform any action, like re-validating my master key or anything else.

How is it possible that there is a warning or error, but there is no prompt to fix it? Searching the forum did not help either and I see that people who experience this exact error found no solution. Is there a way to fix this?

By the way, my other PC with exactly the same configuration and version does not show this error.

Help / about:
Joplin 2.4.4 (prod, win32)
Client ID: 3ad2972be07a418da5f2de2ac8aa2792
Sync Version: 3
Profile Version: 39
Keychain Supported: Yes

Revision: 8f68c32

Could you provide a screenshot of the encryption screen please? As I'm not entirely sure what the issue is.

The logic, if it works, should be like this:

• By default, it's assumed all keys use the master password
  • If one of them doesn't, it should display a password input field to let you type it in
  • You can also disable a key to disable these notifications

It seems something different is happening for you but without a screenshot it's hard to tell.

Unfortunately, I did not take a screenshot. But all I saw was an orange banner that a key was missing. I uninstalled Joplin and deleted the home directory. Then I installed a release version. After it synced, everything was fine, no missing keys and all notes present.

Joplin 2.3.5 (prod, win32)

Client ID: 0f1ffe9eedf849e09d8b9feecc7487f6
Sync Version: 3
Profile Version: 39
Keychain Supported: Yes

Revision: 819af3c

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.