Modify default behavior of new pagraph after pressing enter

2.5.12: 884b86f - Windows 10

I were searching in the forum and in google. Everyone says the same:

"Enter creates a new paraph, use shift + enter"

What if i wont? Can i reverse the key commands?
Enter: new line
Shift-Enter: new pagraph

Or just disable it, or something like that? Is there a post explaining this?

I believe that TinyMCE (the editor used for the rich text editor) does have an option to change its mode using the forced_root_block switch but that isn't an option exposed to Joplin itself currently so outside of building the application with that added it isn't possible.

An alternative is to use the markdown editor with the rich markdown plugin which offers lots of the same functionality as the rich text editor.

1 Like

And how to do that? If it covers the copy and paste too perfect so i don't need to change to markdown every time i want to copy and paste lines of words, or something like that.

I'm not sure I understand what the issue is with copying and pasting from the markdown editor?

Sorry, I confused something. What i wanted to say is when you copy a bunch of lines from notepad++ all of them are placed in a single line in the non-markdown editor. But it works perfect in markdown. Yeah, that's a problem for me too but it isn't related with this topic.

About this topic, i still want to press enter and no create a new paragraph like i said, being able to do it with shift + enter and if not possible, simple disable that feature. (in non-markdown editor)

No this currently isn't possibly unless you modify and build Joplin yourself having identified where to make the change (unless TinyMCE settings can be changed with a plugin like CodeMirror). There has been some recognition the the richtext editor needs a little attention in a few aspects so this might be something worth considering.

I'm still not sure what you mean for this. The markdown editor (with default hard break settings) will put each CRLF on a new line whereas the richtext editor renders a new <p> for each CRLF.
However if you have line wrapping on then it does seem to format the linewrap breaks as a <br> but that might be related to the text editor I'm using to test it. Can you give some example text?

No this currently isn't possibly unless you modify and build Joplin yourself having identified where to make the change (unless TinyMCE settings can be changed with a plugin like CodeMirror). There has been some recognition the the richtext editor needs a little attention in a few aspects so this might be something worth considering.

This is so sad.

I'm still not sure what you mean for this. The markdown editor (with default hard break settings) will put each CRLF on a new line whereas the richtext editor renders a new <p> for each CRLF.
However if you have line wrapping on then it does seem to format the linewrap breaks as a <br> but that might be related to the text editor I'm using to test it. Can you give some example text?

Today i pasted again a bunch of lines from Notepad++ and it's working like you say but yesterday it isn't. And i didn't touch nothing. I don't know what's happening. All what i can say is that the Jopling do strange things, like when you try CTRL+V to paste from clipboard and it don't paste nothing, worst, it
jumps to a random line.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.