Major breaking change in coming Joplin Server 2.0

It probably requires publishing it as a separate app, like Firefox does with beta.

Don't think that's true. While I'm not familiar with the play store policies for beta access, they don't require that you publish it as a separate app. Sometimes I've been asked to join a public google group to get access to the beta (outdated method probably?), but most of the times, I just need to opt-in via the existing play store listing and then future updates include beta via the same channel.

I think it's actually the updated method from Google. There's a Join Beta option in the middle of the screen after description of the app if DEVs have it available. After Beta's done or if you want to go back to latest stable, just leave the program and it'll downgrade to the latest stable.

I've been doing this with Rocketbook's app to get NextCloud working with it.

Thanks,I stand corrected then. I'm not familiar either but I have used Firefox beta and it looks like a separate app

@laurent

Is the use of the Docker tag "latest" to be the equivalent of identifying what is a Release as opposed to a Pre-Release with the clients?

I ask as currently 2.0.7 appears to be "latest" even though 2.0.8 and 2.0.9 exist.

No complaints, just trying to get my head around how server updates will likely work if something like Watchtower is used.

'"latest" will indeed be the stable release, but there was an issue when I've setup building the Docker image from CI, and a 2.0.x version ended up as latest. I've decided to leave it as it is because even 1.x was a beta version anyway. At this point, all versions are beta.

We're quite close to the first stable though, and from then on the latest tag will be used properly to denote a stable release.

1 Like

The pace of the server development is quite breath-taking. Do you sleep?

When the server goes "gold" is there any chance of an official ARM release being introduced? Whilst I am happy to trust @florider for the ARM version and wait a day or two, an official ARM build would be preferable. I only ask as I am sure that there are many people using Nextcloud on a Raspberry Pi to sync between their own devices as the power consumption is so much lower than using a x86 PC or server.

I have just set up 2.0.9-beta with PostgreSQL on a Raspberry Pi 4 4GB and it's quite a nippy little beast!

1 Like

Lately I've been going from one quarantine to one lockdown to another quarantine (moving between France and UK) so plenty of spare time :grin:

I'd like to but I forgot what it takes to get it working with ARM. Ideally if someone could create a PR with just what's needed for the ARM build I'd be happy to merge.

1 Like

Well, this bit me when my server upgraded to 2.0 and I didn't know what was going on.

Does the iOS version support the 2.0 server yet?

Not yet but I'm planning to release the iOS version today.

1 Like

I have may have missed this in the docs, but what does the "Max item size" option in the server do? Is the the maximum size for attachments/resources? If I leave it blank, will it be unconstrained?

Yes it's the max size for an item, and if you leave it blank or 0 it will be unconstrained.

1 Like

Should the 2.x terminal client be able to connect to a 2.x Joplin server? If yes, what should be in the sync.9.directory setting (defaults to "Apps/Joplin").

I'm getting:

POST api/files/root:/:/children: Not allowed: POST (400): {"error":"Not allowed: POST "}

Thanks.

It should sync with CLI client v2 but it hasn't been released yet.

1 Like

When I get to the step "From the desktop client, go to Config > Synchronisation > Advanced, and click "Re-upload local data to sync target", I get the following error on the server:

2021-06-16 16:43:12: [error] App: 404: POST /api/sessions : Invalid origin
2021-06-16 16:43:12: App: POST /api/sessions (0ms)

On the windows client, I get:
Last error: Error: Unknown error: Invalid origin

In case it matters, I run the server via the following command:
docker run --env-file .env -p 22300:22300 joplin/server:latest

You need to set APP_BASE_URL to the exact URL you use to connect to the service, including port.

Thanks, have you tested the server being behind an nginx proxy? What settings work behind nginx?

When I removed the proxy (from both APP_BASE_URL and settingings/Joplin Server URL) it works. Server version 1 worked fine behind Nginx, but seems server version 2 does not (or I am making a mistake).

Thanks again!!

Edit: Figured it out, proxy works again, but APP_BASE_URL cannot be the "real" url, but the after proxy url.

There are a few nginx config above but the important part is to pass the host from the proxy to the server.

CLI v2 has been released now with support for Joplin Server 2.0

1 Like

Sorry if I came off as a little miffed in my comment. I was a little annoyed with the breaking change hitting suddenly, but that's on my for using a beta without pinning to a specific version or watching the forum carefully.

Anyway, thanks for the awesome work you do. I know how thankless open source can be at times. I'm really happy with Joplin - it perfectly fills a gap that I've had in my workflow for years.

1 Like