Joplin stopped working on Debian Sid

New version of Joplin appimage is no longer working on Debian Sid.

Error:
[3928:0510/135736.274926:FATAL:setuid_sandbox_host.cc(157)] The SUID sandbox helper binary was found, but is not configured correctly. Rather than run without sandboxing I’m aborting now. You need to make sure that /tmp/.mount_Joplin78uZNd/chrome-sandbox is owned by root and has mode 4755.
Trace/breakpoint trap

I understand that there is a workaround, but I don’t want to use workarounds to run applications.
sudo sysctl kernel.unprivileged_userns_clone=1

Is there anyway to run Joplin on Debian without problems or do I need to look for different app?

One alternative to this may be to run

./Joplin*AppImage —appimage-extract

to extract all of the files. Then run

./squashfs-root/joplin

to load Joplin outside the AppImage. I don’t know what issues might occur from this, though.

Other than this, there’s not much else it seems that can be done; the Debian developers implemented some security patches into the kernel that make running Electron based AppImages a bit more difficult without using workarounds.

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, I get the same issue:

$ ./squashfs-root/joplin
[5153:0510/142248.189001:FATAL:setuid_sandbox_host.cc(157)] The SUID sandbox helper binary was found, but is not configured correctly. Rather than run without sandboxing I’m aborting now. You need to make sure that /home/ganomi/Apps/squashfs-root/chrome-sandbox is owned by root and has mode 4755.
Trace/breakpoint trap

You’re welcome. I don’t know about setting permissions to root being a viable option there from what the terminal output states. They would be pretty much the same as the workaround you wanted to avoid.

You could try with the —no-sandbox flag turned on every time you run the Joplin AppImage (it was added just for this issue).

–no-sandbox seems to work. I will try to use that until the problem is somehow fixed in the electron lib

$ ./Joplin-1.0.201.AppImage --no-sandbox
(node:14905) Electron: Loading non context-aware native modules in the renderer process is deprecated and will stop working at some point in the future, please see https://github.com/electron/electron/issues/18397 for more information

Thank you.