Joplin Server Documentation

Laurent spoke of this in May when it was seen that Joplin Server was v2.7.4 but Joplin Cloud had a later version number and appeared to now be a separate package amongst the GitHub releases.

So whats the difference between joplin server and joplin cloud?

Joplin Server is what we can self-host for free and "Joplin Cloud" is the paid-for sync server service that Joplin provides ("joplincloud.com").

From what I can tell they both started out the same. We got to self-host the software Laurent also used to beta-test and provide the Joplin Cloud paid service he offers. However there were updates to the server software that only really applied to Joplin Cloud. The reference to Stripe (above) indicates this work was to do with payment processing etc., something the self-hosted server does not need as it is for personal, non-commercial use only. So in GitHub there appeared references to "server-v2.x.x" and "cloud-v2.x.x"

The GitHub tags shows what @joplin_user noted, in that two updates have been made in the last four days.

So, in answer to your original question, yes, Joplin Server is still being maintained. Which is nice :slight_smile:

For those hosting Joplin Server on ARM it appears florider89 has already pushed the server-v2.9.2 docker image (along with an amd64 version) to docker hub.

EDIT:
Before anyone asks, florider89's docker image is one of the "unofficial" ones listed in this forum post.

2 Likes

Yes I've been trying to upload 2.9 for the past few days but it's not working for some reason. I will try again this week

4 Likes

Thanks for the update. As I use a RasPi I have tried @florider's image.

As a result I do have one very minor, very petty request for a future release that has absolutely no effect whatsoever on the functionality of Joplin Server.

Joplin Server has provided everything I actually need for several versions now. However I was hoping for one change that was mentioned in a post by someone quite a while back.

Any chance of a Joplin favicon?

For reasons I guess only a psychiatrist could explain, THIS:

favicon
browser_tab

irritates me to a level that can only be described inversely proportional to its importance!!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes it's still in my list, and it's true it's needed.

I wonder if we should use a different icon though, maybe a J in a cloud or something.

2 Likes

Personal opinion is that the Joplin "J" icon is fine as it is, however,

JoplinCloudIcon ??
JoplinCloudIcon16x16

4 Likes

Yay! just noticed the new favicon
how long has that been there?

Only since 2.13.1 (20SEP23) it seems.

1 Like

Ah, this thread is talking about the server, sorry, I was talking about Joplin Cloud

Looks like it was done at the same time.

New: Add Joplin Server and Joplin Cloud favicons

1 Like

Thank you @laurent !

And actually, I just want to know how to deploy or run Joplin-server without Docker on a linux server(such as centos etc.). And I really don't like Docker. Joplin is really an excellent system.
I've already being installed PostgreSQL, nginx. and I also uploaded all the Joplin-server packages on my centos server. And the nodejs environment is now running well.
But I can only get the "Docker" document on the Internet.
Wish to find a method to run Joplin-server in pure linux, not with docker.

I got you: Joplin Server 2.9 LXC Build | syn-flood

2 Likes

Wow! that's awesome! Thank you very much and I really appreciate your help.
I've been busy for work these days so I haven't tried to deploy Joplin-server again recently.
I will try to study and deploy it several days later.