Joplin desktop Linux doesn't launch anymore

Hello everybody! My Joplin is not working since this morning (no issue yesterday evening); it does not launch with the command (or launcher):

] $ /home/user/.joplin/Joplin.AppImage
        [16341: 0314 / 072035.523781: FATAL: setuid_sandbox_host.cc (157)] The SUID sandbox helper binary was found, but is not configured correctly. Rather than run without sandboxing I'm aborting now. You need to make sure that /tmp/.mount_JoplinNP4SkR/chrome-sandbox is owned by root and has mode 4755. Trappe pour point d'arrêt et de trace (yes, in French) (core dumped)

There is no /tmp/.mount_JoplinNP4SkR/chrome-sandbox in /tmp/. When I try to launch Joplin in command-line, a file is very quickly created in /tmp/ but immediately deleted so i don’t have time to see what is it.

Note also that I updated my system yesterday afternoon (Manjaro Linux) and have a Kernel problem now but I can work around with Grub at boot. I don’t think it’s related because Joplin still worked yesterday evening.
I updated Joplin with success this morning, but no change

/home/user/SCRIPTS/maj-joplin.sh

hi,
what is the version you try to launch?

hI,
version: 1.0.193 (“version” file in /home/user/.joplin/).
Thank you for your prompt response!

Error on my other desktop too (also Manjaro) but something different. I am updating at this time but very slowly (bad wireless connection). I will send you the shell output soon. The command in the launcher was somewhat different with the version number inside. I have simplified it like in my laptop (no version in the command) but no improvement.

Are you running the AppImage from here or using the AUR to install Joplin?

Look at this posting https://discourse.joplinapp.org/t/unable-to-start-1-0-179-on-linux/5373
There you’ll find a workaround.

As @miwie posted, can we safely assume one box is Debian and the other is Manjaro? If that’s the case, his link should work for the Debian box. If the Manjaro box is having the same issues, if you used the AUR, another user was having similar issues with it too. The main AUR is bugged and not fully supported here, so downloading the AppImage directly should solve it there.

The Appimage comes from here. FYI, I have just repaired my Joplin on my 2nd computer. I saw the end of the terminal output: “desktop icon created” or something like that. So I looked for this launcher and it works (in fact I continued to use my old XFCE dashboard launcher (created manually). Unfortunately, it doesn’t work on my (1st) laptop at the moment.

Here, the terminal output (little change):

$ /home/user/.joplin/Joplin.AppImage [2375:0314/113819.985175:FATAL:setuid_sandbox_host.cc(157)] The SUID sandbox helper binary was found, but is not configured correctly. Rather than run without sandboxing I'm aborting now. You need to make sure that /tmp/.mount_Joplin1SYOqM/chrome-sandbox is owned by root and has mode 4755. Trappe pour point d'arrêt et de trace (core dumped)

I don’t understand “Trappe pour point d’arrêt et de trace” even it is in French. Trappe=hatch; Point d’arrêt=breakpoint? Trace=track.

I don’t use Joplin from AUR for several months. I use the Appimage on my two computers (both Manjaro). No Debian here…

1 Like

Thanks for getting back to me. I’m not sure how to help further outside of recommending changing kernel version to LTS if you can get away with it. Manjaro ships with 5.5 and it’s nasty towards Electron apps for many users. Look at the 5.5 kernel pin up top and you’ll get an idea about it.

I wonder if xfce maybe had an update that broke something? Have you tried a different desktop environment such as KDE or Gnome?

Possible there are other problems, XFCE, Electron? as I have updated my system yesterday. However, I just retrieved my Joplin by adding —no-sandbox in the launcher and it works (however it starts slower, it’s seems…).
Source: Unable to start 1.0.179 (on Linux)

1 Like