Joplin as a shopping list

Just wanted to share an improvement on how I use this now. No code modification required, it's more a workflow modification.

Instead of using plain notes, I now use to-do's, which basically are notes with a checkbox. So, I have a "food" to-do, a "toiletries" to-do, a "clothes" to-do, and so on. Each to-do has the same content structure as before, same CSS, like we discussed in the previous posts. Nothing changes. It's just a way to split your shopping list into multiple sub-lists, each list having a checkbox for when completed.

When shopping, once a to-do is completed, I check it (for example, once I bought all food items, I check that to-do).

It's another level of separation of the items of your shopping list. Could be useful if a list becomes too big.

1 Like

I have been using a single list also.

To me, having the item on the list at all, would be the pantry list. I default having them all checked, i.e. the pantry is fully stocked.

Then I uncheck the ones I need to buy - either throughout the week when I realise something is low, or a specific time before I am about to shop and want to review what I need to get.

In the store, I look at the list of what is unchecked, and check them off as I pick them up.

I've not been using the CSS to hide checked items because I'm fine with just scanning my list for unchecked items (they are roughly grouped by where I find them in the store), but if I were to use CSS to hide the checked items, it would still work for me as I can toggle to view them, i.e. to view the pantry, and when hiding them I am viewing the shopping list.

When it comes to syncing on mobile (iPhone 11, OneDrive) I can affirm what @ajay said: It's not syncing a single modification that keeps me from using Joplin as a to-do app - it's initial sync which can take as long as 30 to 120 seconds (45 seconds on average).

On desktop, that's no problem because I can do other things instead. On mobile it's a massive problem because when I switch apps on iOS Joplin instantly stops syncing and after a while I'm gonna get an error message.

Joplin is the only iOS app I know of that has no background syncing capability: Changing this would be an enormous boost for productivity on mobile.

2 Likes

That seems to be an iOS specific problem. I never noticed this on Android, and just did a quick test : opened Joplin, authenticated (fingerprint), switched immediately to some other app for a minute, then switched back to Joplin : the sync process had completed without error.

Or maybe it's related to your sync service ? Or a combination of the two (iOS version of Joplin + sync service) ? I say that because at first I synced with dropbox, it was a nightmare, errors all the time. Then after reading some posts I switched to OneDrive, works like a charm.

It also depends on the amount of notes you have. The introduction of profiles changed the game for me : before I synced all my notes (several thousands), now I have a dedicated mobile profile with only the notes that I need access to on mobile (a few hundreds)

The same happens on Android for me. Not being able to sync in background is a known issue. There may be differences by different Android manufacturers, but in general, the app doesn't support background sync, so even if it can run for a while after being "minimised", once the OS considers is as "background", all activity, including synchronisation, will be stopped.

1 Like

Yes, you are right. I just tested again with a bigger sync (I created a note on my desktop with a few megs of pictures). Indeed the Android app doesn't sync in background. I guess during my first test it worked because the sync was very small and took only a few seconds.

Background synchronisation on mobile devices is a known issue. But for me, there is no special connection to my use of Joplin for shopping list purposes. it’s more a general issue, that makes it a little bit more difficult to work with Joplin away from my desktop or laptop. If I go shopping, I will always make sure, that my list is synced when I leave my desk.

In my early days with Joplin I encountered error messages concerning OneDrive as well. Now it's been running smoothly for years, literally. Except for the daily chore of initial sync, of course. Can't have anything to do with the number of my notes (around 4500) - nor with the amount of modifications on different devices.

When it says "fetching" or something like this, things are running at reasonable speed. It's the process before that (described as "acquiring locks" in some error messages) which takes far too long. This might be OneDrive's fault, but people describe similar problems with Dropbox and Nextcloud.

Maybe someone can report how well iOS and Joplin Cloud work together, i.e. how long it is that the syncing wheel spins before any activity such as fetching is displayed.

1 Like

Hello,

I am using the code you provided to hide the checked items whenever I go shopping to isolate the items that need buying. However, it is inconvenient to comment/uncomment everytime to enable this option. I am not css-savvy enough to implement this nor I am knowledgable enough in Joplin's implementation to know if this is possible: but is it possible write a code so that it checks if an item is checked/unchecked to enable this code snippet? Here's a rough demo:

• Hide checked items
    CSS Code that checks if "Hide checked items" is checked and if so hides the checked items below.
    My shopping list

Thank you.