Introducing NightKnight

Hello! I am Ahmed Atwa, Computer Engineering student in Ain Shams University in Cairo, Egypt. I'm always interested in building software products, and am very passionate about TypeScript development, as it is a language that I super enjoy!

I've been building various web projects for more than 3 years with focus on TypeScript, including multiple desktop applications with Electron, frontend apps, backend servers, and including nodejs automation scripts. In addition to personal projects, I've worked a lot on open-source projects before, such as joining MLH Fellowship program, and contributing to OpenSauced, an organization built around open-source. I believe this experience will be of great help during my potential journey here!

My tech stack is mainly: MERN with TypeScript.

I'm highly interested in the following ideas:
2. PDF annotations
7. OneNote importer
9. Multiple editors open at once
12. Allow editing a note in a new window

If there are more thorough details on each, please link it to me.

I'll be discovering the project codebase and hopefully opening a few PRs to get up and running soon!

There were a lot of pages to read about contributions instructions and guidelines, so if I miss any of them, please accept my apologies.

Thank you very much!

2 Likes

I've gone through the good first issues and they all have open PRs, but according to the pinned issue about GSoC contributions, anyone can start working without having the issue assigned to him.

So does this mean I am allowed to open a PR for the same issue even if there is another open PR? More like a proof of ability since the issues are limited.

Another question, if it is indeed allowed, will PRs not get merged till the end of the application process to allow for others to also open PRs and show their work? I'm asking because in PR guidelines, it is stated that you can only have 1 open PR, so if this still is valid, that means I can only ever work on 1 issue till the end of the application process, is this correct?

If there's already a pr you'll need to find something else to work on. You can also look at the high or medium priority bugs or enhancements

Another question, if it is indeed allowed, will PRs not get merged till the end of the application process to allow for others to also open PRs and show their work? I'm asking because in PR guidelines, it is stated that you can only have 1 open PR, so if this still is valid, that means I can only ever work on 1 issue till the end of the application process, is this correct?

Prs can be merged at any time, we don't wait till the end of the application process. Now there's a large PR backlog because I wanted to release 2.14 first, but now that's it's done we're going to go thought the backlog

How to work on different Joplin versions?
For example this issue The text is deleted when press Enter · Issue #10002 · laurent22/joplin · GitHub has a bug in version Joplin 2.13.15 (prod, win32), how to work on that version to fix that bug? Is it the release-2.13 branch? Also what version is the dev branch? Clarification on the versions would great

On the releases page you can see exactly which commit corresponds to which release.

It's the the default branch (what is usually called master or main)