Installing Terminal Application on Win10

Hi!
I tried and tried and tried (like Freddie sung in "Somebody to love") but I did not understand how to install TA in Win. Something should be too much implicit for me, in the guide. Is there a step by step instructions for monkeys like me? :slight_smile:
Thanks!!

I’m not a Windows person, so I can only tell you how it is supposed to work:

You must have a working node and npm environment. (It’s probably best to google: how to install node and npm on Windows)
After that it is nothing more than: npm install joplin

P.S.: I’m sure some Win users will be able to give you a step by step guide.

1 Like

Thanks for your prompt reply,
I actually tried using the suggestion of this site but, after having Node.js and npm and also Git installed, still I don't understand how this command (from joplinapp.org) works:
NPM_CONFIG_PREFIX=~/.joplin-bin npm install -g joplin
It stops with the error: Cannot find module"
Ok, I think I'll drop the sponge and settle for desktop app. :frowning:
Bad luck that a "normal" installation executable is not available for terminal app.

Hiya, NicolaFunk, and welcome!

I’d suggest you’ll be better off running it under WSL.

In case you’re not familiar with it, WSL, Windows Subsystem for Linux, is a standard Win 10 component that lets you run linux binaries natively.

The installation is trivial, see the link above. Basically, you just run this command:

Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName Microsoft-Windows-Subsystem-Linux

from an Admin PowerShell command line and reboot when prompted. Then you open Microsoft Store and install some linux distro, I’d suggest Ubuntu 18.

This will install ‘Ubuntu’, which you will then find in your Start menu.
The first time you start it up, it will take a while to set up and ask for a username and password. You now should have a running Linux distro available.

After that, it’s an easy matter: just follow the instructions like you did before, but this time, in the WSL command prompt.

It’s worked well for me and IIRC (though I might be wrong here), even Laurent runs it like this.

HTH.

1 Like