In application updates

First of all, thank you for the program. I love it and use it daily.

Would it be possible to have the program autoupdate or at least update through the program itself? I am specifically referring to the Windows version. The updates seem to come very regularly, which while great, causes the following:

1. Pop ups
  2. Having to download the executable
  3. Manually installing the program
  4. Losing the pin I made to the taskbar.

I would prefer that the update happen without having to do the above each time the program is updated.

Thanks again for your hard work!

3 Likes

I agree with the OP on all points. The program is excellent and I have come to rely upon it daily.

My specific concern is that the installation of an update removes the program from the taskbar. I don’t notice that happening with other programs. Is there any way to prevent that removal from occurring?

1 Like

I was about to post the same feature request :smile: In-app updates would be really nice. It could display update information via some UI inside the application (instead of a system prompt), run the download in background and display a notification once it is ready. The update could then be installed when the application is restarted.

Joplin desktop uses electron-builder which has an auto updater component. It's pretty easy to implement and I would be happy to do it. I have already implemented this in another open source application (Trezor Suite). If this makes it to a Github issue, I'll be happy to have it assigned to me (keraf on Github) and submit a PR when I'm done.

There's a GSoC project idea about this, but I'm closing this thread because it's very old.