Imran Khan - GSOC 2020 Introduction - " Web client for Nextcloud"

Hello! I’m Imran Khan. I am 19 years old and pursuing my B.Tech in IT from Charusat University, India.

I build and actively manage an open-source publication about software development tutorials called DevHoot (https://devhoot.ooo including a YouTube channel). I have spent my time as a developer building front end clients with elegant codebases( setup, build, deploy, workflow) as well as UI/UX. Last summer I worked at Hasura.io as a front-end engineer intern.

My GitHub handle: strongSoda

I'm interested in the " Web client for Nextcloud" project idea. Have there been any discussion/progress on this?

My way forward: I am going to learn all the elegant ways of building front-end (eg. JAMStack) and then use them to build as many things as possible throughout my life :slight_smile:

welcome to the community, looking forward to your first isse fix

Hi there,
time is moving forward and the deadline is closing in but we haven’t heard that much from you recently.
You are getting along with the code?
If you have any troubles don’t hesitate to ask around in the forum.

Don’t forget to watch/subscribe to the GSoC Live Blog to stay tuned.

good luck with GSoC

1. For the project named Web Client for Next Cloud where are you contributing regarding that in the Joplin main repository but there is no such code for the web client .
  2. I have found a repository named Joplin-Web.But the code written there is in vuejs and python but the requirement mentioned that the client should be in reactjs and php

So what is your plan ? Since you have to show PR in your proposal where are you contributing

@PackElend, I have the same issue like @sapsa suggests. The issues in the repo are not in anyway related to the skill required for this project. Most of them are Electron based. This project doesn’t need Electron skills. Then is it good to base the selection criteria on contributing to Electron based issues?

If it’s fine with you, I want to setup a small project repo which aligns with this project and show you some progress based on the requirements of this project using the project specified tech stack. Will you consider that as a valid contribution?

1 Like

@strongSoda Also the issues and PR are related to the mobile apps and desktop app only … I think less people are contributing in this project

@strongSoda @sapsa the project you have chosen is unique in that it doesn’t exist yet in the Joplin project. there is an excellent Web client built by foxmask though.
The goal of this project is to build a new client, either using existing code as a base or building completely from the ground up. This means that you’ll be working on somewhat of a separate project rather than being deep in the existing codebase.

If you will take the time to read the Joplin codebase, you’ll notice that all 3 existing clients share the same backend. Meaning the core of Joplin is not Electron based. It will be expected that you try to use the same backend for the Web client.

I would suggest you get familiar with this backend by fixing bugs that relate to sync/the way data is stored or anything handled there.

2 Likes

Thank you much sir … this is what I was looking for !!!