Importing encrypted Evernote notes

I plan to import my Evernote collection to Joplin, but some of my most important Evernote notes are encrypted. What’s the best way to do this? Ideally, they would go from Evernote encryption directly to Joplin encryption, but maybe that’s too much to expect. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I think you need to decrypt the encrypted Evernote notes first

Yes you are absolutely right.

Many thanks. I was afraid of that.

Hello all.

I am looking replace Evernote, and a colleague recommended Joplin, which looks interesting.

I've also been looking at Notion and neither seems to have a feature Evernote does: the ability to encrypt a block of text within a note.

I found this thread and was wondering if anything has changed in terms of options for keeping sensitive text within a Joplin note encrypted. I am open to other options--basically looking to ensure that text I want to keep for my eyes only remains that way.

Any comments or suggestions are much appreciated. Be well and stay safe!

A plugin could easily support this:

• Select a block of text
  • Click "Encrypt"
  • Enter the password
  • The block of text is replaced by the cipher text

Can I use it? Or is it too early for plugs? I read somewhere they are not ready for ordinary users.

Have you written such a plugin? Can you make it available? Many thanks in advance. This would make me a Joplin user, for sure.

Just for curiosity, what is your use case? Why do you use encryption for a block of text?

For example, I used it for sharing notes with my team. If it contained sensitive information that I didn't want them to reshare (e.g. bid, salaries), I encrypted it and sent them the password in another message. In that case, they couldn't share sensitive data by mistake.

I ask it because I don't know any other cases where it can be useful. For example, if you need encryption for storing passwords, credentials and plastic card data, I strongly recommend using a password manager. It is much more secure and convenient.

So I wonder what might be the other use cases for encryption inside the note.

That's a reasonable question and I guess the answer depends on your context. From your comment, it would seem that your usage is mostly in a business environment. Since I retired before Evernote or Joplin were conceived ( :wink:) my context is entirely personal. So I encrypt all or parts of Evernote notes for privacy reasons. I don't always log off my computer when I'm through, so people in my house might come across an unprotected screen. I've got a note with my family's Social Security Numbers, another one with bank & investment account info, and yet another with passwords to Word documents that I'd like to keep private. Nothing salacious here, just run-of-the-mill privacy.

Could I hack Lastpass to do all this? Sure, but I think of these data as if they are notes, so using software that really wasn't designed for notes really doesn't fit my workflow.

Evernote used to be an excellent free solution until they limited free usage to two devices (I have more than that that I use regularly). I upgraded for a few years but found that I really wasn't getting my money's worth; so I cut back on the devices that I sync on Evernote. And that's why I'd like something like Joplin -- if I could encrypt what (I feel) I need to encrypt.

Long answer to a short question. Hope it helps.

1 Like

It might help if you consider Bitwarden as your password manager. It has "notes" actually and a perfect search. And it is free.

I doubt that in-note encryption would be implemented in the foreseeable future. I assume it by several comments I saw relating this question and other encryption questions.

In your use case, it is a question of habit. I stored my data in Evernote too, but after trying Bitwarden, I realized that it is much more comfortable to know that if someone drops an eye on my notes, there would not be any sensitive data.

I still need in-note encryption for the purposes I mentioned above, but for my personal information, I realized that it is much easier to have it in a password manager.

I do not want to persuade you, but try it. I was unwilling to use the pasword manager like you, but it turned out that I was wrong.