Importing all GoogleKeep notes to Joplin

Hi,
second topic for today.
As I have mentioned in my other post I do like Joplin app and looking forward to use it. However I would like to import all GoogleKeep notes to Joplin. I know that one of the possibilites is to import each note seperately, which is difficult when one have tens of them.
I know also that the export/import shall be done via Evernote and then via enex file. The problem is I do not have Evernote account.
Third, I have found a python’s script to convert html files of GK to be convereted to enex’s without using Evernote app. I used Python 3.8.2 and 3.7.7 but there is a module ‘parsedatatime’ which is missing. I cannot install it as well.
I know this topic and solution might be out of this forum, but maybe someone knows what could be the solution.
Best,
J.
Desktop eviorment - Windows 10 and Windows 7
Mobile enviorment - Android 10

So why not create one?

Hi Laurent,
first, thank you for your reply.
Yes, that is not a problem.
Since there is a short-cut solution, I just asked for help. there is not a problem to create an account in Evernote.
Anyway, thank you!
J.

You can use google takeout to export all your notes and then run a script that would send them to Joplin via REST API (I think someone has shared a script on this forum).

Or you can use this unofficial Google Keep API to export your notes and send to Joplin using the same REST API: https://github.com/kiwiz/gkeepapi

Hi Werth,
thank you very much for your reply.

I just gave up with Joplin, since have not found the easy way to transfer GK notes to the app. I am not familiar with python at all. I tried to use the script after instaling python, but without luck. Therefore I skipped.

Yes, I have the script and I have the file from Google Keep, but have no clue what to do next.

Best,

J.

Here is few steps how to transfer Google Keep notes to Joplin on Windows.

1. Go to https://takeout.google.com/settings/takeout and request notes from Keep. Unzip downloaded file.
  2. Download python script from
    [SOLVED] Importing from Google Keep
    For example that named keep20191210-to-enex6.1.py
    Copy that script directly to Keep folder unzipped in step 1.
  3. Download and install Python - for example Python 3.9.0 or newer
    https://www.python.org/downloads/windows/
  4. Start Windows command line - shortcut Win key + R and type "cmd" (Command Line). Type "cd 'path to Keep directory' ". For example "cd c:\Keep". The last row in the cmd window should start with that directory path.
  5. Run the script in that cmd "py keep20191210-to-enex6.1.py" (or other name of the script). After that there should be keep.enex file in that directory ready to be imported in Joplin (File - Import - ENEX)

Note: script mentioned above is not able to transfer everything (for example pictures). So be careful and check if everything seems ok.

Optional: If there is error in the step 4 about date/time you need to download and install library file from
https://pypi.org/project/parsedatetime/ (for example parsedatetime-2.6-py3-none-any.whl). Using cmd from step 4 you need to type "pip install parsedatetime-2.6-py3-none-any.whl" in the directory where that library file is downloaded.

3 Likes

I recommend getting the latest version of the script from the gitlab repo as it now supports importing images.

See my post at this link for more information:

1 Like

Thank you arndtc!
J.

I wrote a conversion tool and it feels good to use it myself.

looks good just tried it but just generates an empty directory for me. only tried the windows version...

Any video guide for REST API use?

I only have 18 simple notes in Google Keep. I found the other thread here about using a Python script to convert the exported Google Takeout zip file to the Evernote format just to be able to import them into Joplin. I gave up on that after having to install a Python interpreter but there still seemed to be other modules it was looking for. I even looked at installing Evernote but didn't want to have to create an account. (Joplin is touted as a replacement for Evernote, so that just seems backwards to me).

I unzipped the takeout zip file. Then I tried importing with Markdown Directory. I selected the unzipped Keep folder as the target import directory. Now, my notes were just test, a few had bold titles and a different background colour. Those two formattings don't show up properly when toggling between the editors. But the information is at least there and I can play around with Joplin afterwards.