iCLOUD

Operating system

iOS

Joplin version

What issue do you have?

WHY IN THE WORLD CANT WE USE ICLOUD TO SYNC? Or backup

this is the worst

I thought this was open source ?

It is. And because if this, you can always go ahead and implement the support for iCloud yourself.

5 Likes

There's also the market incentives at play here; the ideals people would often use Joplin for beyond raw functionality, i.e, privacy, price, open development; are at ends with the strategy Apple uses.

Macbooks are expensive and I can't run MacOS in a VM, you're only licensed to build for iOs from official Apple hardware, Apple intentionally restrict stability for API's developers use (OpenGL, sudden deprecation of 32bit with no transition strategy, etc), and the end result is they're not a very nice platform to develop for if you develop for free/fun. 20 years of computing and I've used MacOS for all but 5 minutes, because I'm not paying £1000+ for an operating system.

Apple boasts its users pay more than Android users; which they can boast because it's true, but the way I'd look at this is, they're basically admitting that their users are happy to pay premium for software whereas I imagine the generic Joplin user isn't so eager to be parted with their money or ideals.

And hence, the developers probably shift towards being people who'd prefer to code for more open and less cost prohibitive solutions.

5 Likes