Home / GitHub Page

How to search for checkboxes?

Hi, I apologize if I am missing something obvious, but it looks like using the search box for anything that is MD code itself doesn’t work.

My goal is to quickly search all notes for the set of unchecked checkboxes within the body of notes. Tried wrapping ‘- [ ]’ in various delimiters, single-quotes, double-quotes, etc., but no luck.

Is there a syntax that does this?

Using Windows 10, Desktop client 1.0.170. Also tried on MacOS.

Thanks!

This is not currently supported. The search engine builds a simplified index of the notes with things like commas, dots and other special characters stripped off, so the - [ ] is not in the index.

Thanks for confirming. My workaround will continue to be to insert a little codeword that I can search on, which is OK.

I don’t know how difficult it would be, but the ability to search for the note body checkboxes would be very helpful.

Use case: I often capture large walls of text as notes, and then imbed sporadic todo items inline as they occur to me. Searching later for the unchecked boxes would be a very convenient way to retrieve and track these. With my current process, I must edit my codeword within the notes to mark these items “done.”

I have an idea, as an alternative to messing with the database: What if we had an optional feature that would convert Notes to Unchecked Todos whenever unchecked checkboxes were found in the body? Probably performed upon saving a note?

You could improve that idea further by optionally making a Todo “Done” when its body contains checked checkboxes and no unchecked ones.

Anyhow, that idea/request isn’t urgent for me, but it would be tres cool if that was easy to implement.

Thanks for the quick response! J