How do you use Todos in Joplin?

Of course you can say that but it sounds like a default choice that forces you to use a non-free tool (todoist). It's a pity even if I completely understand your reasoning.

@bepolymathe I could be wrong about the future. Maybe a few years down the line, enough people will have worked on the Joplin to-do feature so that it rivals an app like Todoist in features and user-friendliness. Then I'll happily drop Todoist, because who doesn't like a free app that does many, many things as well as paid apps. But for now, especially as a non-programmer that can't contribute anything to Joplin, I don't feel like I'm forced to use a non-free tool because I don't expect Joplin to be awesome at every feature immediately.

Yes yes I understand and I am in the same situation as a non-developer. I don't judge all your usage and I find it logical.

Wow thank you everyone! I will take some time to look through your suggestions, workflows and links. This is much appreciated!

Just out of curiosity, what do you use instead?

github project(online) + markdown todo list(offline)

1 Like

@skim1124 @rxliuli Is it make sense for you ? Let's add the possibility to plan todo?

No, I don’t plan to use joplin as a todo tool, not to mention I don’t use joplin client directly at all

I do not like using a MS product but I use Microsoft To Do (it used to be called Wunderlist before MS bought it). Its interface is simple, clean and intuitive. I have dozens of lists. There are desktop and smartphone versions which all synchronize. I can share lists with others if desired. I can sort as desired and drag and drop items from one list to another. I literally have a couple thousand items on it. I use it many times per day (why waste brain cycles remembering small details?).

I should have added that my main concern with using a MS product in this case is my data being mined. I just found this thread after googling how to use Joplin ToDo's for that reason. Like other posters here I never understood the point of Joplin's ToDo's as they are currently implemented. I use Joplin daily for other reasons.

Joplin could have been used as a todo app if it had something like Obsidian has which is a side panel that can list all todos from all the notes. Bear in mind this is a nice UI element not another document page where one has to have it open at all times.

The agenda plugin do that :wink: ... :thinking:

I like to-do notes. I use them time to time when there is some action to do in a note.

Todo notes are pinned in top of notes list and look not the same as regular notes. Thus you always see notes with a deadline defined.

If I need to see all todos I search for "type:todo".
If I need to filter out todo done I using the "views > show completed todos" button.

nb: but for advanced todos and projects management I am currently using Notion.

1 Like

Hi,
I am not sure if it does that. The Obsidian plugin collects individual todo items (checkmark boxes) from all kinds of notes and lists there. This only shows me the todo type notes.

Indeed, it does not

Thanks for confirming it. That is the thing about the Obsidian extension, it can gather all the todos and show a nicely sorted way, this makes it much easier to get control of todos. Todo note type is not everyone's prefered way, I personally like to add my todos in my regular documents that is why I prefer the Obsidian way.

It’s now possible with the Joplin inline todo plugin

2 Likes

That's what's the 'new' Evernote is all about: handling tasks scattered in various notes in a sophisticated way - yet not really intuitive if you're asking me, so that I'm no way tempted to return to any of their paid plans.

As @GreatWhiteShirt pointed out in this thread some time ago, MS ToDo / Wunderlist offers a good, intuitive way of task management, although it's not as rich in features as some of those other apps dedicated to this purpose.

For my workflow it's essential that there's a mobile app which is both easy to use and has full functionality - and that's exactly the point where Joplin fails. When it comes to the desktop version, I think that task management features are pretty good, actually (I'm using @JackGruber's Note Overview Plugin).

Any suggestions how to set up a synchronised, mobile-friendly ToDo system using FOSS tools only, so we can free ourselves from apps that may be free of charge, but collect our personal data all too freely?

https://tasks.org/ on mobile maybe? Heard good reviews but haven't used it myself.
Plus a self-hosted CalDAV server.

Thank you for this suggestion: really looks good, but alas - there's no app for iOS (but at least support for Apple reminders). And yes, I suppose those privacy-minded people get it on F-Droid and set up their own server for CalDAV. For everyone else, there are integrations to get the best from both worlds: even Microsoft Outlook and Google Tasks are supported.

But there's something even better than integrating one or more apps / services: bringing all the features of note taking and task management into one app. So let's just hope that Joplin can get as good as Evernote in that particular respect. OneNote never had a proper ToDo integration (except in conjunction with Outlook and on desktop systems only).