Home    |    GitHub Page    |    API    |    FAQ

Fully manual synchronization

Hi, my house has very low upload bandwidth (0.5Mbps) but each time when Joplin synchronize the notes it consume all my upload bandwidth for a long time (I don't know why there are so much data to upload even if I change nothing between sync, and my notebooks are just 3xMB including the attachments). Therefore I have to set synchronization interval to "Disabled".

Still, Joplin would still trigger synchronization automatically at program startup or when I make any change to the notes. These are the time I usually doing other internet intensive tasks like having video call, watching online lectures etc. and Joplin would make them lag.

So my primary question is, how can I fully disable automatic synchronization? If possible, can someone tell why Joplin has so much to upload in each synchronization? Can I limit the upload speed, pause or reschedule the sync? Thanks.

1 Like

If bandwidth is critical, why not all your home PCs to sync on a local (LAN) drive, on a PC or a NAS for example ?

Edit: You can set Joplin to sync every 12 hours for instance. And also simply close it; it'll "reschedule" the sync (until you re-open it).

One concern is I have to sync the notes on my mobile outside my home. Another concern is I don't know whether I'll lose my notes if Joplin couldn't connect to the LAN storage (e.g. samba, local nextcloud).

If re-open Joplin must trigger sync, that's mean I can't use it while I am making video conference. It is undesired.

As a workaround you could switch to the file system sync to a local disk or a NAS and sync that directory manually.

Finally I switch to file system sync to the dropbox folder. Then I use the speed limit in Dropbox client to prevent it from eating all the bandwidth.

Somehow there is also less data to upload by this way.