Exporting all data should be way easier

This was not what I asked for. I was frustrated that the json exporter was removed from joplin without a good alternative. And that the raw format is a more internal data representation, than an export format. When I google for the RAW format, I find mostly posts from you, telling people that they should just trial-and-error themselves through the file format. Which is not very helpful.
And this: Export to other services? which is just a frustrating answer to a legit support request.

It would cost you like 20 minutes to do this. This would help people like me a lot. So why writing about the uselessness of doing it instead of just doing it?

So basically what you're saying is:

1. The data is yours, but you have to be able to write software to get it in a usable format (or accept that you lose information on export)
  2. Joplin compares excellent to Apple Notes, which is written by a company, that is famous for building a highly secured walled garden

I'm writing software, and I was able to write my own converter. But not everyone is. Your response confirms what I was trying to point out in my first post: you are not interested in someone who has used Joplin having an easy way to export their data from joplin without loss.

I suggest giving them either a good documentation of the JEX/raw format (and, yes, this documentation will be short, this is a good thing), or even better give them a standard format as an export target, instead of the internal backup format of joplin. Like JSON with all tags and metadata written in every file instead of linking files by their ID.

6 Likes