Error upgrading to 2.3.3

Getting this error upgrading to 2.3.3

Error
The sync target could not be upgraded due to an error. For support, please copy the complete content of this page and paste it in the forum: https://discourse.joplinapp.org/

The full error was:

Cannot acquire exclusive lock because the following clients have a sync lock on the target: (desktop #0c4a85b5f89b4186a1efc2dca95ba375)

Error: Cannot acquire exclusive lock because the following clients have a sync lock on the target: (desktop #0c4a85b5f89b4186a1efc2dca95ba375)
at LockHandler. (/Applications/Joplin.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/@joplin/lib/services/synchronizer/LockHandler.js:223:31)
at Generator.next ()
at fulfilled (/Applications/Joplin.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/@joplin/lib/services/synchronizer/LockHandler.js:5:58)

1 Like

This means that other clients were using the sync target (e.g. during a sync operation).

I had the same error, in my case the client is matched the client that was throwing the error. I just restarted Joplin and it worked fine. Finished the upgrade and everything. It wouldn't hurt to try that.

If not you should run sync on your other devices and make sure they finish. Then try again.

Hmm, ok I think I know what's happening. Maybe the app starts syncing when the message to restart appears, so the users clicks on it, which interrupts sync without unlocking the sync target. Then when the upgrade starts, the sync target is still locked and the upgrade fails.

It will resolve itself once the lock expires but there's probably a better solution, either clearing the lock on exit or ignoring locks that were created by the same client.

but the message to restart is the same message that prompts for synching. "sync & restart". how can synching be happening before clicking?

This happened to me too

First thing to check is what's locking the sync target so please:

• Provide the error message you're having (the app id should be in there)
  • Provide the content of your About box

I should have mentioned, like CalebJ, the fix was just to try again, then it worked.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.