Editing a long note is slow on Android

Has there been any word on whether or not this fixes the problem?

Any update on this?

For me, Joplin is unusable on Android 10 - Joplin 1.3.13, using React Native v 0.63 for editing even relatively short notes - it becomes extremely slow when typing. It would be great if the text editor could be moved to some other library, because speed is essential for every note editor.

The current solution is to edit notes in another application (Orgzly in my case) and copy them to Joplin.

2 Likes

Hello, I ran into this issue as well, Android 10, latest app, similar issue with the input becoming slower as I typed.

Just wanted to share that I poked around and disabled all of the text features except for soft wrap. Most importantly, perhaps, was disabling note history. So far, through a few test cases, performance significantly improved. Would this be the case if it was purely the RN component?

Pardon the blunt first post, I didn't see a similar suggestion or test.

I love this project and am eager to see it evolve. Thank you for creating a proper notes app, particularly supporting many backends and a cli client.

It's almost certainly the RN component, as we aren't the only ones having this problem. The GitHub issue on the RN repo has some additional info and there's a possible fix which I haven't tried yet.

2 Likes

Any update on this issue?

I have found IA Writer, Typora, and DropBox cover all the bases for me.

Unfortunately, that's not a solution for me. I like my notes encrypted.

Is there a workaround other than using a different editor?

I don't think so.

I have a change in progress to add external editing on Android but it's in an early stage yet.

Can I assist by testing that?

I tried the fix suggested in https://github.com/facebook/react-native/issues/20119#issuecomment-714545951 but it does not seem to improve things. Either this or I misunderstood what should be done.
For reference, I replaced value with defaultValue in
joplin/Note.tsx at 77b284f01fa9af686023f2ee2c822548e4b9b21d · laurent22/joplin · GitHub

Also tried debouncing but again, no luck.

So I am looking into this now, can someone who experiences this confirm roughly at what note size do you start seeing issues? If you could send a note - even better.

I think at some point any app will struggle, for example I tried Markor and with 400kb note (basically a whole book) it becomes completely unresponsive. But 400kb is probably way too much.

1 Like

I was able to reliably replicate it with one sentence - not even 80 characters.

1 Like

Is your device old? Do you just type or are there attachments or anything else other than plain text?
I do not see such extreme lag - just tried with ~5 screens of text on my Honor 9.

And also - what keyboard are you using? And what language?

Samsung SM-G965U, Android 10. No attachments, just plain text.

1 Like

GBoard and Samsung Keyboard. USian English.

1 Like

Still not lag for me with GBoard. Not sure what's going on.

I can build you an APK with a (tentative) fix to try but I doubt it'd change anything as your lag seems way worse than I'd expect.

I thank you for the offer but I stopped using Joplin because of this problem in April of 2020. I didn't even know that Glitch was still subscribed to this topic.

1 Like