Custom stylesheets

(Just some petty facts from my side. This post was intended as an answer here to @DominicDesbiens, or in fact to anyone who is interested in where to find the built-in style definitions.)

If you know how to interpret the CSS language and know how to open a file in a safe way for reading (i.e. without the risk that you unintentionally change something), you could peek in the following file to see what’s predefined by Joplin, before deciding what to (re)define by yourself in other places:

• on Windows: section noteStyle.js of Joplin/resources/app.asar in the folder where Joplin is installed
  • on macOS: Joplin.app/Contents/Resources/app/lib/noteStyle.js

I expect this also gives a clue where to find it on Linux. Maybe there is a way to unpack an ASAR file. That would allow for a more user-friendly view experience. Anyway, it’s a good start for adjustments of the styling in userstyle.css, since the CSS cascade is:

1. the built-in script noteStyle.js (parametrized, so it adapts to the chosen theme)
  2. ~/.config/joplin-desktop/userstyle.css
  3. links to other CSS files in your notes
  4. hard coded <style> blocks in your notes
  5. hard coded styles= attributes in HTML tags in your notes

Joplin interprets this cascade from 1 to 5, and the last specifications prevail. In the current Joplin architecture, the notes are synchronized, the JavaScript code and CSS files themselves not.

2 Likes