Created 2 test profiles to sync - both download the two of them

Recently, I created 2 test profiles synced in Dropbox in order to test the Android sync on my tablet later. For some reason, whenever I synced both test profiles in Dropbox (still in my notebook), both synced to both, downloading all notes for test1 and test2 in both of them. I don't know if this is a bug or if the fact that Joplin is already inside a folder in Dropbox can create such a strange behavior. Just to explain better, software + profiles + etc are stored already in a Dropbox folder named "!!!!!!JOPLIN", with no sync configured.
From all the 17 profiles I have, I need to sync only 2 of them in my Android tablet (with Joplin version 2.10.8, database v42).
By mistake, I posted this on Github, and JackGruber replied: "Both profiles use the same synctarget. Therefore, both profiles have the same content. The desired behaviour only works with different Dropbox accounts."
Now I am really confused, because on page What's new in Joplin 2.10 I saw nothing about sharing synctarget. :anguished:

This is just the way that the dropbox api works I think. It allows Joplin to create a single folder for that application.

Multiple target sync is really easy with something like nextcloud, all you have to do is to make a new folder called joplin2 or something.

I made some comments on this back when 2.8 hit - Joplin 2.8 is available! - #10 by Daeraxa

Thanks for the response, but I think I've put too much information and the text is somewhat complicated.
OK, API works fine, creates a folder, etc. Normal.
The thing is that I am talking about a task Joplin was supposed to perform after the newest version, which is, allowing me to have two profiles in Android.
The other information about version etc is to describe the problem as it is.
This is what I am asking: why does it happen, instead of allowing two profiles in Android with the version I wrote above.
I don't know if I could explain better now.... (sorry, my primary language is Portuguese).

No I understand what you mean but I think my response is the same, unless somebody can correct me it is just that Dropbox can only have a single profile currently which is what I mentioned in that linked post.

If you were doing this with Nextcloud you would set up two separate sync targets:

• Create default profile on desktop
    • Sync to <nextcloud_url>/files/joplin
  • Create additional child profile for work on desktop
    • Sync to <nextcloud_url/files/joplin_work

You then repeat the above steps for the profiles on mobile.

Due to the Dropbox API it just makes a single joplin app folder which means that you are essentially just syncing 4 identical clients, it doesn't take the profile into account.

@JackGruber mentioned this with what you quoted before:

Both profiles use the same synctarget. Therefore, both profiles have the same content. The desired behaviour only works with different Dropbox accounts."

Therefore to make multiple profiles work with Dropbox, currently you would have to:

• Create default profile on desktop
    • Sync to dropbox account 1
  • Create additional child profile for work on desktop
    • Sync to dropbox account 2

Now I am really confused, because on page What's new in Joplin 2.10 2 I saw nothing about sharing synctarget

Where did you see this bit? As far as I know the behaviour of how the profiles sync hasn't changed since 2.8, only that support for multiple profiles was added to mobile.

This is why I was saying on that other thread that to support this the profiles would have to be somehow added to the sync which is a very different method to what is currently used.

1 Like

So, I think I misunderstood the upgrade explanation. Oh, well... Thanks a lot, Daeraxa! You were very kind to explain!
I really don't know anything related to Nextcloud, and honestly, my few remaining neurons would fry if I tried. Also, having two Dropbox accounts would not work for me at the moment,, because of the cost.
This is frustrating, because I'd like to be able to just copy-paste my files to Android (the .md and all stuff in "resources".

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.