<br> strange behaviour

Joplin 1.7.11 (prod, win32)

Client ID: 93584c3b445842f894461e68df805d8c
Sync Version: 2
Profile Version: 34
Keychain Supported: No

Revision: f560563d8 (master)

Windows 10

I am trying to insert blank lines in a list, but using the <br> tag messes up the formatting. For example I enter the following markdown:

List 1
- item 1
- item 2

List 2
- item 1
- item 2

and see

I then try to insert newlines to add some extra spacing between lists.

List 1
- item 1
- item 2
<br>
List 2
- item 1
- item 2

This messes up formatting:

So then I tried this:

List 1
- item 1
- item 2

<br>
List 2
- item 1
- item 2

And it got even worse:

Is this a bug or am I doing it wrong? I just want a blank line between the two lists.

In vs code the behavior is exactly the same.

But with a linebreak after the <br>the outcomes is the desired result

List 1
- item 1
- item 2

</br>

List 2
- item 1
- item 2

List 1

• item 1
  • item 2

List 2

• item 1
  • item 2

Indeed this is part of the Markdown spec. There should be two new lines between HTML code and Markdown code otherwise it's treated as a single block.

1 Like

Thanks. To be honest I find markdown kind of annoying and much of the time just look at the markdown bit itself, not the formatted output. Is there a way to make the whole note unformatted text without having to indent every line?

You could wrap the whole note in ```plaintext fence but you would lose many of the Markdown benefits. Perhaps have a look at the Rich Markdown plugin too, although I don't know if it would help in that particular case.

Thanks, that plugin looks quite useful. Unfortunately I use Jopin on Android so I don't think I can rely on plugins. I think the main issue I have is that I just want line breaks in markdown to appear in the formatted text always. Like the opposite of soft line breaks, I want super hard line breaks.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.