What do you do differently in Joplin in comparison to other note taking apps?

I understand what you mean.
I would love to have an editor that shows the formatting without hiding the Markdown code.
Or at least let's me write in Markdown and then shows the output directly.

This would be another nice improvement for Joplin.
Start to write a link in a specific form and it begins to auto complete the names of your notebooks/notes/titles like it is possible in Emacs org-mode.

1 Like

Yeah, this has been requested a few times here and on github.

In windows you can drag the note from the note list and drop in another note and Joplin creates the hyperlink for you. I don’t know if it works in other platforms.

3 Likes

I installed Evernote only to migrate my notebooks from OneNote to Joplin. Evernote has some cool things such as thumbnails in the note list but, to me, that is a kind of “cosmetic” feature that I can live without.

1 Like

Joplin is my go too light weight way to grab some code snippit or take a quick screen shot of something. the web clipper is a nice tool especially for building a reference library. the app looks nice but I use it in the termnal mostly

I have tried to use joplin and other note talking apps and methods and about 4 years ago I used one note. Then I tried Org-Mode.

Yeah its not light. Yes its got some wierd keybindings… but because of what org is, and the fact that it is an editor thats actually a lisp interpreter… can org do… yes. the answer is just yes it can.

once you get you head around todos in your notes, with scheduling and deadlines, refiling single items form any note to any note. The easy cross linking and back linking its just incredible. and markdown is no problem for org to work with.

so joplin and other note taking tools always seem to be laking next to org and in my hands become extensions of org.

org-mode.

the org-roam package is getting insanely fast updates like 2 or 3 per day these days. also Deft is a sick packagke and with zettledeft can make links to links that link links blindly fast and you can build a second brain in days

@Nebucatnetzer MarkText and Typora do a very good job of this. I've been switching between them, but I think I'll settle on MarkText for now.

Just in case you haven't noticed, Joplin now also has an [experimental] editror built in. If you turn it on, you can switch between the classic dual layout and a WYSIWYG editor. It also keeps getting better with each release. (I didn't use it much so far, and it's experimental, so take care.)

1 Like

I tried it, but it doesn't support markdown yet. You need to use the tool toolbar up top to format text, which is not ideal. The other apps let you type in markdown, but format the text as you go.

1 Like

What attracted me:

• markdown, which has become The Standard for most things that don’t need to be published in print.
  • desktop and mobile
  • no centralized or specialized server needed
  • security/privacy features
    • open source
    • end-to-end encryption

What expanded my usage:

• it’s quick
  • stable (though that has been challenged lately cuz the side menus stop working occasionally now)
  • the organizational bits: hierarchal folders, tags
  • external editor option. Do I need search and replace? Spellcheck? I open in external editor, do my thing, then come back.

Joplin replaced most every other note-taking and—and this is probably important—long-form-writing software for me. I’m writing a novel, for example, in Joplin. It will eventually migrate to Google Docs for hard core revision and then LibreOffice for submission, but the first drafts are in Joplin. Every blog post of mine is written and re-edited in Joplin then copied to the blog software.

4 Likes

I really appreciate that I can use Vim hotkeys and commands on it. It’s the right compromise between a simple notepad and a personal Wiki with added encryption.

1 Like

So you just use Joplin for storing and MarkText for editing?

I’ve been using org-mode a lot during my time studying (I wrote my thesis with org-mode) but stopped now because I really need something with mobile support and Orgzly is just not enough.
Org-mode would be better for basically all my needs but the lack of mobile support just kills it for me.
I’m still using it at work however because of the time tracking and reporting features.

Please provide more details. What are you doing and how you use org-mode and what does that have to do with Roam?
Just very curious and a big fan of Roam. :grin:

1 Like

Take a look at the roam replica created in orgmode. its called org-roam, and it is fantastic. when combined with org and emacs its actually way more extensiable and capable than Roam. and its in plain text. and wont ever cost money

https://org-roam.readthedocs.io/en/master/

I doubt it ever will be. The WYSIWYG editor was on the top in the list of feature requests, because people did not want to use markdown. Thus the new editor.

You probably mean something like a hybrid markdown/annotation editor WYSIWYM, which was also discussed a few times on the forum (slate.js). But hey, maybe I'm wrong, maybe there will be a 3rd editor option.

This looks amazing. But I cannot find a structured advice on how to set everything up.
Even though I'm a little familiar with Emacs I'd love you could point me in the right direction.
You can reach me at @herop at Twitter, jburkhard@outlook.com or via @HeroP at Telegram.
Your help would be immensity appreciated. :grin: Have a great day.

Form longer notes, yes. For small notes and quick edits, I just switch to the edit mode, but for longer notes where formatting matters, I use MarkText as an external editor.

I recently switch to Joplin from Boostnote because Boostnote doesn’t have mobile app so there’s no way for me to access them on my phone.

I found Joplin has far more features than Boostnote; especially sync, web-clipper and mobile app. I’m very impressed!

I always wanted to write a blog but a big lazy to setup and maintain server and software like wordpress. Also, to write a post, login into a portal and make changes is very cumbersome for me. I needed something for blog that can fuse with my day-to-day note taking process.
So I wrote script that converts Joplin notes to Hugo markdown format and hosted it on Github Pages with automatic. This way I don’t need to maintain any server or software and spend on server cost.
If anyone interested to look at the setup check out the blog post.

4 Likes