Sort Markdown Lists (Alphabetically, checked/unchecked, ...)

Hey everyone, I want to propose another markdown extension!
I often have long lists in my notes. Be it checklists or unordered ones. So when I want to (un)tick or change an item it's getting really complicated to find the actual entry.

What I want is an option to sort markdown lists. It should be sortable by the alphabetical ordering (abcd...xyz) and also by the checked/unchecked status (all unchecked items go to the bottom of the list).
So just like the ToDo items can be sorted, I want the markdown list items to be sorted, too! This should be doable easy with JavaScript :slight_smile:

Thanks for reading and hit me up with questions.

2 Likes

Miss it too. Should switch to something like MS Word for this, cut-sort-paste a block of text all the time.

Joplin supports line sorting (which is the same as list sorting). Simply select a block and press Ctrl-Alt-s. This feature isn't documented yet, but hopefully in the future we'll expose it better to the UI.

3 Likes

That sounds really good! Is there any way to do this on mobile? Or even enable it to run automatically after each new line that is written in a note?

It's not available on mobile (and probably won't be for a very long time if ever).

Or even enable it to run automatically after each new line that is written in a note?

It's not currently possible but should be possible to add as a plugin fairly soon.

Is it possible to sort in the Z-A order?

1 Like

Not currently, it just does regular sort.