Plugin: js-draw integration

In the current version, clicking the select tool, clicking on the canvas, pressing ctrl+A then ctrl+C, copies all text in the image to the clipboard. Pasting in an app like Joplin or a text editor will paste the text that was in the selection.
It might make sense to add this text automatically (i.e. putting the text content of an image between the ![brackets that mark the alt text](:/27b1595f39264e26a5888aaac86afd11) when creating a new image).

I like that idea! I do worry about accidentally clicking on the scrollbar while writing on the canvas, however... Maybe the scroll bar should only be visible when using the pan tool?

A sidebar that lets users jump to regions of the canvas with higher stroke density might also make sense.

It's not currently possible to search for text in the canvas, but I can try adding that! (I have exams soon, so it might take a while to get implemented).

3 Likes

cool

About the scrollbar I don't think it's a big problem on PC, on mobile it might need to be optimized and adjusted. Visible on the panning tool sounds like a good idea.

It's ok, just follow your planning and good luck with your exam. :smile:

1 Like

I've implemented a find function that can be opened with ctrl+f. (Known issue: Find won't open if currently editing a text object). The updated desktop plugin (v1.3.2) should be available later today!

2 Likes

The Android beta has been updated!

2 Likes

Is there any way to expand the canvas box to arbitrary dimensions, such that the display in the note can be bigger than the default box size?

PS: Awesome plugin.

1 Like
  1. Select what you want to resize the image to.

2. Press "resize image to selection" (shortcut: ctrl+r)

2 Likes

Updated quickly, hard work. My only fantasy for this drawing tool is that in it, buttons to link other notes can be created. Make my notes more systematic. Just like the Excalidraw plugin in Obsidian.

Of course, if it's not possible, it's done perfectly now. Thanks again.

1 Like

Awesome, thank you!

I'm so glad this is getting added. It's really a key feature, & the previous work-around (embed an image & edit with an external program) was always cumbersome.

Are there plans to integrate this in to the rich text editor (currently images won't save when opened from there)?

2 Likes

I've tried! Calling insertText when the rich text editor is open doesn't seem to work with SVG images (it's inserting part of the image as text. I'll have to look into this further...). Programmatically switching to the markdown editor, then calling insertText, and switching back to the rich text editor is something that might work...

Additionally, I haven't found a way to send messages from the rich text editor's WebView to the main plugin script (webviewApi.postMessage doesn't seem to exist in the rich text editor). As such, I don't know how to get an "edit image" button in the rich text editor to communicate with the main plugin.

I'm so glad this is getting added. It's really a key feature, & the previous work-around (embed an image & edit with an external program) was always cumbersome.

Be aware that Plugin: draw.io and Plugin: support Excalidraw in joplin also exist.

2 Likes