Kanban Plugin Weekly Report

GSoC 2021 Final Report

Hey all! Summer of code is over tomorrow and I've just published the final release of the plugin during this GSoC! You can read a summary of my work here.

The release includes all remaining features from the proposal and the top two options from the poll:

• Added rigth click menu to column titles
  • Persistent card order (WARNING: this is using the same indexes as the custom note order in the note list, so if you drag the cards around, the notes will also change their order!)
  • Generate static markdown tables
  • Show extra tags and due dates under the card titles
  • Now you can specify rootNotebookPath: "/" in the filters section to have the board include notes from all notebooks
  • Minor and major bugfixes

You may notice that dragging cards around became less smooth. This is because I had to switch to a new drag&drop library in order to support the custom ordering. I have a few ideas on how to make dropping (nearly) as smooth as it used to be, but I think it will take some time.

The future

As I've already mentioned, I am planning to continue working on the plugin, but I'm surely not going to be able to dedicate this much time to it as I did this summer. With that said, I have a long backlog of ideas I'm pretty excited about. Here are some of them in (rough) order of priority:

1. Colored categories: I know it was promised for this release, but I had to delay it.
  2. Drag and drop improvements
  3. Refactoring the sorting backend and adding tests
  4. Automatically finding and opening boards
  5. Gantt charts

With the end of GSoC, I'd like to move all bug reports and feature requests to the repo's issue tracker, so please post new ones there. I'll also create a thread for the plugin in the Plugins category for general discussion and support. I think it could be nice if this thread could be merged there, but I'm not sure about that.

Finally, I'd like to say a huge thank you to everyone who tested the plugin, gave feedback or ideas or just their support for the development! Special thanks to my mentors @roman_r_m and @laurent! I've really enjoyed working with Joplin this summer!

12 Likes