Joplin new design, feedback is welcome! (20 June Update - Version 4 is ready!)

I’m not sure we’ll implement these ideas. The objective for this design was to make the UI prettier and cleaner but without big changes in functionalities. Vertical toolbars aren’t that common so not sure how they rate in terms of usability.

These look really good!!! When can I try them! :smiley:

Also, personally, I would for the border around the "note-title" to be gone.

Love the new design, and the knowledge that external editing will remain part and parcel of the usability. In this sense, a quick question: the layout option will remain, right? I will be able to use an external editor and have Joplin show only the output, with no editor column, is that correct?

1 Like

Good point, it was gone in the first concepts but back in this one. I think it indeed looks better without the border.

Yes it will stay. In general all functionalities will be the same after the redesign.

2 Likes

The design looks nice. But I am afraid, the new design needs more screen estate. So I would prefer the existing one.

Awesome. I think removing the border just makes the app feel a lot cleaner. :slight_smile:

Also, do you already have a time-frame for the new design? Im currently playing around with a new theme for Joplin, but figured it might be better to wait and build that when the new design is online. No stress of-course. Just curios.

A small thing. Suggestion for version 4 of the draft changes: set the title and the header of the note to different text. Some folks thought the note label was presented four times. It’s not. It’s in the side bar and the top (two locations until the sidebar is collapsed, then only one). In these examples, the header of the note just happens to be the same text as the note label.

Mind you, if you don’t set a label for the note, it will use the first text of the note by default, but in the end, the label and the header are two different strings.

I like it there. I think it’d be better there.

I’ve updated the top post with version 4 now, I think it’s getting there, but if you notice any issue please let me know!

1 Like

@laurent, have you looked at how this would function when in a narrow view? E.g. a half-screen window on a typical monitor, so 960 or 1280 pixels wide?

(I use the current version 1280 wide, and it’s… ok. Would probably be good if switched to the WYSIWYG mode exclusively.

I love it!

This seems like an incremental upgrade keeping the current users in mind. The way it should be!
Properly structured and very intuitive.

Screen Shot 2020-06-20 at 10.13.02

I still prefer this inverse color. was there a reason to move away from it ?

I don't know but I plan to make the UI responsive so that it works with screens of any size.

2 Likes

That looks great!

1 Like

@laurent, would it be possible to have an option to hide the Menu Bar [File Edit View Note Tools Help]? This is similar to Firefox hamburger menu, or by pressing alt to show the menu. This would make Joplin cleaner and have added screen space.

Or is this possible now? see EricB10 post

1 Like

@subie, that’s a separate issue, but indeed we could perhaps have this option, and then it would show up by pressing Alt. If someone can create a pull request for it I’d accept it.

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Pasting picture and iOS issues

Any ETA for these designs to access on stable branch?

1 Like

I had a look at v4 which is really great.
I’m still wondering 2 things :

• on the left sidebar is “notebooks” necessary ? I would prefer to have my notebooks directly in grey as notebook is. This would help to see the organisation of notes (sub notebooks) and this app is about notebooks so no need to collapse them
  • I would replace “+ new note” and "+ new todo " by “+ note” and “+ todo”
    Hope this will release soon , Thank you !
3 Likes

I would suggest “Rich Text” rather than the (rather old) tech jargon “WYSIWYG”

3 Likes