Joplin Features Evaluation toward a Roadmap for an Outstanding Note-taking App

how about using trello? dynalist use it for their roadmap

@rami.sedhom, I left some fields blank in the evaluation sheet, because I didnā€™t quite understand what you meant:

• Different views ā€” Do you mean the editor vs the viewer, or other viewers beside the current one? The only thing I would like to be added is a zoom facility for the viewer, but thatā€™s not something I desperately need.
  • Importing from text/CSV/JSON ā€” What should I imagine I would get when I import such structures?
  • Exporting to text/CSV/JSON ā€” Same type of question.

In addition some other wishes from my side:

• Easy reference to classes, IDs, and styles ā€” My rating would be 2.
  • (Un)fold nested lists, not only (un)fold subtasks as in the sheet ā€” My rating would be 1.
  • Lockable notes, as a kind of safety hook to prevent inadvertent changes by me or the cat ā€” Also rated 1.

Just a snapshot today of most voted/important areas as per 17 voters until now:

Category Percentage
Searching 89.5%
General 78.4%
Backup 73.5%
Security 73.5%
Exporting 72.4%
Organizing 67.6%
Apps, APIs & Sync 66.3%
Importing 61.7%
Editing 53.7%
Plugins 52.9%
Keep other resources 52.5%
Viewing 51.1%
Task Management 42%
Collaboration 39.6%
Commenting & Annotation 35.3%

That mean the top 5 important features those voters are looking for in note-taking app are:

1. Searching,
  2. General (Free & Open source),
  3. Backup,
  4. Security and
  5. Exporting.
1 Like

What format do you think is easy to use? This sheet can be downloaded into different tabular formats: (xlsx, ods, html, csv, tsv). I believe it's relatively easy to handle data from any of those formats.

Maybe not in terms of file format, but rather how it's presented. For example React Native use canny.io to track votes on feature requests. It allows having one page per feature, with description, comments and votes. It's not free though, but it gives an idea of how it could be.

If you want a whole platform to collect and manage user feedback, I can see 2 open source self-hosted alternatives to canny.io:
https://getfider.com
https://github.com/riggraz/astuto

The percentage for ā€œBackupā€ in the spreadsheet is wrongā€“itā€™s actually the percentage for ā€œSecurityā€ instead.

There are a few features I donā€™t really understand. What does ā€œKeep filesā€ mean, for instance? Keep them where? Iā€™m also unsure on what ā€œsorting selectingā€ is.

@JudgeDeadd this is definitely a core issue that I and others have brought up about this spreadsheet. It is a bit vague in what certain teams are meaning and implying and @laurent has already requested other means of obtaining this information since its current format isnā€™t exactly valuable to the devs at this time. Do you have any suggestions?

Iā€™m not sure, but didnā€™t we use the poll plugin for the design decision?
Probably would also could introduce voting topics.

In my personal understanding it is already difficult to guide the users for issues to the GitHub Repo, for feature requests and discussion to the forum for details about the features to the website ā€¦
so I would try to stick with discourse as long as possible. Just my two cents.

(In addition I didnā€™t join the voting because I donā€™t want to use any google services)

Please add feature ā€œNavigation buttonā€.
Just like in a web Browser, buttons back & foreward, and maybe a drop down list of historics note viewed.

and how about the allow to add Custom stylesheets easily, allowing to create stylesheets library / plug-in model

1 Like

Did you have asked them about special pricing? Seems like they over special pricing (perhaps even free?) to open source projects:
https://feedback.canny.io/feature-requests/p/early-stage-startup-discount-cheap-plan-or-free-tier

If you think canny could help you to get an better overview compared to discourse that could be a good idea. Perhaps a public ā€œroadmapā€ like this would also stop duplicate feature requests.

2 Likes

My biggest features are higher level rather than feature specific: (1) open source; (2) E2E encryption; (3) export-friendly = you have these. And (4) a high probability you will be around with this model 12 years from now - that's the time I have been using Evernote but its model changed increasingly locked in. (5) An option for easy cloud syncing supported by some kind of paid subscription model generating sustained revenue for you so quality goes up and a mechanism to support paid user questions. (6) You don't change the user interface too often (and when you do, you give users option to keep legacy features / configuration). You just got #5 with the cloud subscription and so now I will pay and switch from Evernote. Thank you! I hope you are planning a business roadmap for being around for a decade or more as your user base grows, and without the "corporate" closed-system changes that happened at Evernote and that are baked into most commercial note taking platforms! Perhaps a "user owned" cooperative or public benefit corporation governance structure so you can't be taken over or bought out?

I think the bus factor for this project is relatively low because all key components are either open source or source available. Several of us also have access to key parts of the infrastructure such as the GitHub repository, npmjs account and Dockerhub account.

I prefer to stay away from creating a cooperative or official nonprofit organisation simply because I don't have time to deal with the red tape (not to mention that I hate doing so).