Include some of note body in Note List

Joplin's Android app is great. It's simple but also powerful. I think the app's biggest advantage over its competitors is this.

But I believe we really should have an option to view note bodies in the note list. Most of the popular note taking apps have this feature. And users are used to this. A lot of users (me too) just don't even write a title most of the time. %50 of the time we just paste something important to the note body, and close the application. And when we want to find a note, we just scroll down on the list and find it.

That's why, when I made the switch to Joplin, I found it really hard to use. After I imported all my notes from Google Keep, this is how the Joplin Android UI welcomed me:

Just stop reading and imagine using your Joplin like this for 10 seconds. Would you like this experience? I don't think so.

The thing is, someone who is looking for a custom, free(as in something), personalised note app with the ability to sync with a custom server, is probably someone who is "taking" notes seriously. Which can also mean they already have like thousands of notes in another app.

Obviously some people would prefer a simple list with titles only. But in my opinion, not having an option to list notes with some sort of excerpt is a huge handicap. Especially for people switching to Joplin from Evernote, Samsung Notes, Google Keep, Standard Notes, Omni, Scarlet etc.

Unfortunately I don't know much about React so I'm not able to help with it. But I guess this should be possible with only a few tweaks? Or maybe it can be easier to implement this with a grid view first. (Which is also a feature I think the app should have sooner or later. But again, should be optional)

In the meantime, I'm manually editing titles of 1200 notes from Desktop app :grin:

1 Like