Importing markdown file from command line

Here is the results in Joplin once RSS grabbed and created.

at the end of each grabbed article I add the source of the article in the footer

1 Like

Nice project, and an interesting use of Joplin automation!

Thanks !

and that will be a perfect, with your

I really like to see this feature on Joplin Desktop version

I really like to see this feature on Joplin Desktop version

Which one? I think everything mentioned in this thread has been implemented.

1 Like

The feature is to be able to pass commands directly to Joplin Desktop version using the command line tool. I'm using Windows and the command line tools are Command Prompt and Powershell.

it would be like the --profile command you pass on Joplin Desktop to tell it where the data to be read/write.

On Windows Command Prompt, when you tell it to

D:/apps/Joplin/Joplin.exe --import D:/notes/folder archive

Joplin Desktop will import the allowed files of the notes folder to the notebook: archive

Something like the request from @foxmask

Currently you need to use the Terminal version separately to use the command line features.

Right, currently it’s indeed not possible with the desktop version. What do you want to do in particular? Depending on what you want to do, the api could work.

1 Like

Thank you @laurent, I like to import/export using the command line. The import will be used to add multiple notes to specific notebooks in Joplin. and the export will be used for making backups. I think using the command line is more efficient that using the gui for these jobs.

1 Like

Is the API not a viable way for you, then? As long as Joplin is running and the Clipper API is enabled, you could send a request to it (via curl or similar) in the place where you’d want to use the command line import. (That’s basically what I’m doing.)

I'm not too familiar with the API, My idea for the commandline is like the --profile command
something like
c:\Joplin\Joplin.exe --import c:\mdfolder

I have Joplin and the web browser clipper installed. could you share your workflow?

Thank you!

There's not much of a workflow to share, I'm afraid. Basically, I look at the API docs, fiddle in Postman until I have requests that do what I need them to do, then write code that generates the same requests. My project is in C#, so that's what I used. Ends up looking something like this.

So in your case, you could write a script that reads your source folder, then issues a call to the WebClipper API for every item in it, to create the corresponding note. The API is really quite friendly and simple to use.