Backup Plugin

Hello, I installed backup pugin and for now is worked. I´ll keep using, but I´m thinking that a really usefull feature is encryption option. Do you think that this option could be implemented ?. Thanks

It is already at your fingertips. Create an encrypted file container (e.g. Truecrypt), point the backup plugin path to it. When the file container is open at the time of backup, everything works as it expected. When the file container isn't open, the plugin shows an benign error message saying that the backup path wasn't found. Works on windows and Mac.

Hello, Yes I did in this way and worked. I use Veracrypt. Thanks

I tried to use the plugin with the OSX client.

I can't find the correct path to save the backup.

Does anyone have an example for OSX?

@Jannock You can enter ever path in unix style like /data/joplin_backup.

Thanks for you quick reply.
I'll tried, but get this popup:

Backup error

Backup Path '/Docs/joplin/backup/' does not exist

I have no Mac, but I think your docs folder is in your user folder.
/users/<USERNAME>/Docs/joplin/backupbut the path must exist, the plugin do not create the folders!

But I mean to remember, that in the context menue (click on folder or file) there is a copy path option.

Thanks very much, that was the trick (right click on folder name, push 'option' and you can select 'copy the full path' in the popup menu).

1 Like

Any way to add a password to encrypt backups? Even if just in a zip file?

Is in planning, but due to a bug #5072 the version is suspended for the time being until it is fixed.

1 Like

I have published a pre-release which contains the following new features:

• Add: Relative path could be used for Backup Path
  • Fix: An error with Only on change, which was not working properly
  • Add: Option to create zip archive
  • Add: Option to specify the Backup set name if multiple backups are to be keep.

The pre-release can only be installed manually and not via the Joplin GUI!

It would be great if I could get some feedback if the zip functionality works on different operating systems.
I have only tested it under windows, because I have no MAC or Linux with Desktop.

Download:

Hi @JackGruber

Thanks for new version.
I just did a quick test under linux (Fedora 34). It seems that the plugin does not take into account the specified backup path.

Is it the flatpak release? Because it looks like the app doesn't have access to its own cache directory.

Is the file /home/manu/.config/joplin-desktop/cache/io.github.jackgruber.backup/7zip-bin/linux/x64/7za available and can you execute it?

Yes ok that's it. I didn't have the rights. If I make this file executable, it works. I have an archive in the right place.

Is it a flatpack release, or was no execution permission on the file?

I work with Joplin 2.0.9 (AppImage). This is the file 7za that did not have execution permission.

Since the needed Joplin fix was faster than expected, I released another pre-release today, which includes encrypted backups.

:exclamation: For pre-release 1.0.0 at least Joplin 2.1.3 is required :exclamation:

2 Likes

v1.0.1 (2021-07-03)

I have released a new stable version which includes the pre-release changes from v0.9.0 and v1.0.0.
This release requires at least Joplin 2.1.3!

v1.0.0

• Add: Option for encrypted backups

v0.9.0

• Add: Relative path could be used for Backup Path
  • Fix: An error with Only on change, which was not working properly
  • Add: Option to create zip archive
  • Add: Option to specify the Backup set name if multiple backups are to be keep

:exclamation: Requires at least Joplin 2.1.3 :exclamation:

7 Likes

That’s great ! Thanks to you @JackGruber