Scratchpad for MacOS system tray

Could there possibly be an option to make the default type to-do? For quick notes while focused on other things, I usually want a to-do item.
Already it is a very nice app, thank you. I can also confirm the fix using xattr -cr

v1.4.0 has been released.

This time I did xattr -cr before release. arm64 should work now.

Added

• Option to switch between note and todo.
  • Option to set default type (note or todo) in the settings.

Changed

• Fix: Notebook pagination
2 Likes

Thank you for adding the todo option, it works. I still had to do the xattr -cr to open the app.

I also see that the note title field is not visible until I have typed something in the main note body:
I would appreciate an option to have the title field always visible, so I can start by making the title. Currently, I start with the note body, and then have to modify the title since I generally do not want the automatic title pulled from the first lines of the note body:

I don't actually create a note on Joplin's end until the note has been made. Hence the hidden filename field.

Since it is a scratchpad, not a full-fledged app, I thought I might want to jot down the things I want first and think about the filename later.

Still will think about it.

Been using this for a couple of days now both on MacOS and on Linux and it works beautifully.

A couple of suggestions that could improve the UX even further:

1. List continuation for things like bullet points, enumerations and TODOS would be a great addition (not sure if this could be easily implemented or not)
  2. It would be nice to keep working on an existing note. Sometimes I accidentally click new note even though I'm not finished with my previous note. In that case I have to start a new note and then afterwards combine the two notes. No biggie but slightly inconvenient.
  3. On Linux (Manjaro with xfce) when pressing the hotkey, the popup appears at the cursor's x-position instead of a fixed position. This doesn't happen on MacOS.
  4. On Linux when pressing the hotkey, the focus goes to the notebook dropdown menu instead of the text box.
  5. On MacOS it would be nice to disable the Dock Icon so only the Menu bar item is shown. On Linux this is already the case.

Yes, the arm version did not work for me but I am using the x64 mac version and it works well. I guess there are additional checks done on arm64 apps.

Thanks a lot for this tool though, it is very useful.

+1 to the below improvement

On MacOS it would be nice to disable the Dock Icon so only the Menu bar item is shown. On Linux this is already the case.

My escape key does not work at all while Joplin Scratchpad is running in the background. If I open the scratchpad window from the menu bar, escape will close that window, but escape is not registered by any other application.

I tried opening Terminal and running showkey. When Scratchpad is running in the background and I press the escape key, nothing is printed. It seems as if Joplin Scratchpad is intercepting all escapes regardless of whether its window is open or which application is focused.

Quitting Joplin Scratchpad immediately restores escape key functionality, and reopening it breaks it again. I have tried restarting and reinstalling.

Do you have any advice, or is there more information I might provide? Thanks.

@uroybd nice app. I've moved this thread to the #apps category. But you are more than welcome to create a new post where you introduce your app with maybe a few screenshots in the first post.

2 Likes

This has been fixed in version 1.4.1. Have you checked that?

For suggestions and issues, please use GitHub issues if you already have a GitHub account. It is much easier to track them their.

Yes v1.4.1 fixes the problem. Sorry I didn't think to look at the github.