Maximums (notebooks, notes, tags and databse size)

The case you mentioned here is so close to what I do. And I totally agree with you.. It is very important that the maximum number of tags per note, and gloabally should be set clearly, as well as the maximum number of notes.
Setting these limits is very important for Joplin if Laurent and the team want it to really compete. People need to know the limtis of their tools to be able to plan and decide in an accurate and safe manner. I totally understand they have a lot in hand, especially with the Joplin server they are working on now. But I believe testing and setting these limits isn't of less importance. I really hope to see these limits set in the near future.

@osman what you say makes a lot of sense. Fortunately, Joplin is developed by the community and you have found yourself a very good opportunity to contribute back to the community.

I know you are very busy and probably have other things going on in your life that are a higher priority than this. But it would really help the Joplin project if you could stress test your system and let everyone know what limits you find.

I look forward to your report detailing the results of the stress test. This is gonna be great for the project.

3 Likes

So you mean I should try and answer my own quesiton... cute :slight_smile: If I could I wouldn't have asked it in the first place. I don't know how to stress test as I'm not a programmer.. just a normal user.. However, I always send my feedback about any bug I find, and always find helping hands. Even when a problem is unsolvable for the time being we discuss it overtly and amicably. Except may be this time.. I don't know why asking about the limits irritates some people, so they first try to convince me that lots of tagging is a bad idea, then now when I mention that stating the limtis is a good thing Joplin I'm asked to test it myeslf (which I really dont now how to do it). It seems that I unintentionally crossed a line I couldn't see here.. If so I appologise for everyone.. and promise.. I won't post again for any reason. Adios

I think your questions have been answered as well as was possible. We know there's a performance issue when adding many tags to a note - how many depends on your operating system, RAM, CPU, what other programs are running at the same time, etc. You've even been given an exact number, if that's what you're after.

And indeed you can find more precise numbers by trying by yourself, by creating many tags, many notes, etc. and see how the app works. The number of tags won't be "set clearly" because it depends - why put a limit of 1000 if some users have more and, for their workflow, it works fine?

Also it's quite reasonable to propose a different way to use the app to go around this issue, for example by using less tags. It seems the problem is that you don't accept that using many tags doesn't work that well at the moment. It might get better some day, but for now that's the current state of the app.

4 Likes

Compete with who exactly? I'm not sure Evernote has provided hard maximums. And as noted earlier, EN seems to be deprioritizing tagging. And as the note app genre's, well, elephant, EN is sort of a de facto standard (to the extent there are any standards in this genre).

I fail to see how prescribing precise maximums as you suggest puts Joplin at a competitive disadvantage. Perhaps you overestimate the proportion of the userbase that falls in the 1k+ tags camp.

2 Likes

Obviously you're free to do what you want, but I for one wish you'd rejoin the community since I enjoy and appreciate having more fellow normal users around. Forgetting about the number of tags for one moment, I'm sure that there are other user issues for which your input/insights would be valuable.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.