Lost Notebooks after computer sleep

Well, .jex backup supposed to be a simple .tar archive you could probably try to look inside and salvage some data from.

If you have some resources left, it's better to copy them (or maybe the whole profile folder), to keep as much data as possible.

Other than that, situation looks quite dire... Maybe you have some other devices with local data on them?

I don't quite get what are you referring to. Is it about resources or backup or something else?

i get this error when trying to open a backup

can i open it from here?

Just to confirm, you have tried importing the .jex backup via "file > import" menu, is that correct?

I mean not with system context menu "open with", but with importing function inside Joplin, right?

yea thats correct

Ok, can you try opening .jex via 7zip? If doesn't work directly, try renaming backup.jex to backup.tar

maybe you could extract some contents from it

ok i'll try that, i have also found the synced data on onedrive.. how to i open from there sync?

First of all, please save the onedrive data before doing anything else.

Then you can set up the sync target in Joplin for this particular account on onedrive and await till all your notes are fetched.

will the notes be fetched at the synchronisation interval i have set ie 24 hours?

You can force start the sync by pressing the button "Synchronize" at left bottom

Aside from that, yes, Joplin will follow the sync interval you've set.

Great thankyou, I appreciate your help

it didnt open the files?

After synchronization is complete your notes supposed to appear in Joplin. If sync was completed and no notes were fetched, either the sync target wasn't set up or the sync target doesn't have the notes.

Please, give sync time to be completed, restart the application and let's see what you've got in the end.

I have this error...

Well, it seems that the number of calls to OneDrive exceeded some kind of limit. I don't know what exactly is going on (and similar support ticket remained without an answer) I suggest waiting for an hour and trying again.

If the error persists you can try moving the data to other cloud, say Dropbox and attempt sync from there.

How many bytes is the backup? Did you save the backup to a synced folder? (A folder such as Dropbox, Or maybe My Documents when synced to Microsoft Cloud)

Answering these questions won’t fix your problem, but I wanted to see what might have caused them and how this might be prevented in the future

As a pure speculation, this backup might have been happening at the exact moment when the computer went to sleep. Even larger speculation that interrupted backup process might have corrupted the profile but at this point it's looks like "wishful" thinking and too many coincidences.

It might be interesting to test this hypothesis though. Many programs are rarely tested in such destructive fashion (at least by their developers). Moreover, such tests are very hard to simulate and automate.

1 Like

In the end the topic starter reported in private that he was able to recover all his data back. Although there are no additional details.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.