Home / GitHub Page

Joplin API in Nextcloud (prototype)

For information, I’ve started a Joplin API app in Nextcloud there: https://github.com/laurent22/joplin-nextcloud/

It is not meant to be a Joplin web client, and there’s no plan for it to be so. Rather it’s to provide an API to allow sharing a note publicly, and maybe later to allow collaboration.

5 Likes

Excellent!!

I get this build error:

tar: The following options were used after any non-optional arguments in archive create or update mode.  These options are positional and affect only arguments that follow them.  Please, rearrange them properly.
tar: --exclude-vcs has no effect
tar: --exclude ‘../joplin-nextcloud/build’ has no effect
tar: --exclude ‘../joplin-nextcloud/tests’ has no effect
tar: --exclude ‘../joplin-nextcloud/Makefile’ has no effect
tar: --exclude ‘../joplin-nextcloud/*.log’ has no effect
tar: --exclude ‘../joplin-nextcloud/phpunit*xml’ has no effect
tar: --exclude ‘../joplin-nextcloud/composer.*’ has no effect
tar: --exclude ‘../joplin-nextcloud/js/node_modules’ has no effect
tar: --exclude ‘../joplin-nextcloud/js/tests’ has no effect
tar: --exclude ‘../joplin-nextcloud/js/test’ has no effect
tar: --exclude ‘../joplin-nextcloud/js/*.log’ has no effect
tar: --exclude ‘../joplin-nextcloud/js/package.json’ has no effect
tar: --exclude ‘../joplin-nextcloud/js/bower.json’ has no effect
tar: --exclude ‘../joplin-nextcloud/js/karma.*’ has no effect
tar: --exclude ‘../joplin-nextcloud/js/protractor.*’ has no effect
tar: --exclude ‘../joplin-nextcloud/package.json’ has no effect
tar: --exclude ‘../joplin-nextcloud/bower.json’ has no effect
tar: --exclude ‘../joplin-nextcloud/karma.*’ has no effect
tar: --exclude ‘../joplin-nextcloud/protractor\\.*’ has no effect
tar: --exclude ‘../joplin-nextcloud/.*’ has no effect
tar: --exclude ‘../joplin-nextcloud/js/.*’ has no effect
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
make: *** [Makefile:131: appstore] Error 2

may be you could create a new dedicated topic, I think guys won’t come here now with this new wonderful project :slight_smile:

@foxmask, I’ve moved it here and clarified the goal since it’s not the same as your project.

:ok_hand::grin::+1:

It’s a prototype and won’t work on its own as it’s an API. It will be connected to the Joplin clients to provide sharing, etc.

As a Nextcloud user I like the idea but I’m not sure if it’s the right design decision as it only caters to Nextcloud users. Sharing notes (either publicly or for collaboration) is quite an essential feature in my opinion which, once added, lots of user will want to use.

Are there any news about the Joplin Server you started to work on some weeks ago?

Both approaches have the same disadvantages actually. With Joplin Server, it would manage sharing, etc. but it will also need to manage your sync items, so you can’t use it next to Dropbox, Nextcloud or anything - it’s an all or nothing.

With the Nextcloud app, it’s similar, you can only use it with Nextcloud but of course, many more of Joplin users already have Nextcloud so it’s less of an issue. If you already have Nextcloud, it’s also very easy to install - you just press a button and it’s done.

So in the end, it was making more sense to make a Nextcloud app. Also it already handles user authentication, file access, sharing, database and other features needed for this, so it’s also a lot less effort.

You’re completely right. I guess it just “felt” more natural to me to have a dedicated server which would be the recommended way to sync and a couple of alternatives with a limited set of features.
In this scenario Nextcloud takes the spot of the recommended way to sync.

I’m glad this is being worked on.

Yes I believe though. I’m developing it in such a way that the Joplin stuff is decoupled from the Nextcloud backend so that potentially the app could be used separately (for example on an Apache or Nginx WebDAV server), but initially it will just be for Nextcloud. Dropbox and OneDrive unfortunately won’t be supported I think.

would this allow something like rest_uploader to upload directly nextcloud? I.e., does it expose the webclipper API?

No, as a general rule if something can be done by the desktop (or mobile) client that’s how it will be done. So if OCR is ever supported it will be part of the desktop app.