@Former Evernotists: When did you kill your notes and account on evernote.com?

You can use them side by side and decide which one has your preference. As I said, my friend picked Obsidian. I forgot the exact reason but I believe it was a plug-in that allows him to one-click select a code and copy it (he's a programmer).

I searched back on how easy it is to switch: select all notes in Joplin and click Export. Then point Obsidian to the folder you just exported. All your notes will be there in their proper folders, with all images/attachments in a separate folder named _resouces. It's that simple.

There is no shame in trying both and sticking with the one you like best :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A very important point for me! And as I understand it, Markdown is easier to process into another format (html e.g.) than Evernote’s (EN) enex will be. And that opens more opportunities in case of Joplin’s crackdown than I ever had with EN. So to get back to the starting point of rhis thread: After I have transferred all notes into Joplin quite smoothly already, EN is not needed as a kind of backup or archive for my notes anymore.

1 Like

2019/21: After one year leaving Evernote and using Joplin:

If I had it to do again, I wouldn't move.

Yes Evernote has so many flaws, but Joplin has also so much flaws and limitations.

• Can't synchonize single notebooks. All or nothing (Someone told me that evernote switch off this feature, after the time I changed)
  • Search/indexing of PDFs doesn't work. There is a plugin, but this does not work on Android. Useless
  • Tags/Keywords doesn't work with capital letters and I18N does not work also. Intern it works, in the imported notes from Evernote have the correct tags. For me als a German user, this is terrible.
  • No I18N Support in plugins and also a lot of I18n problems in the app. I know this is normal in open source projects, but in an application which the core idea is using "words" this is a nightmare.
  • The work with tags. There ist noch chance to work with the tag tree if you have 2000 tags or more. Ab big list in a panel. Try it out on Android totally useless. No special view to organize tags or get an overview of tags.
  • No hieractical organisation of tags, just a flattend list. This for my use the worst thing. This is the feature I missed most compared to Evernote.
  • The smartphone app is so strange. A simple transfer from an embedded pdf. Doesn't work, The usabillity is a nightmare. And there are so many other small bugs.
  • No chance to have a WebApp (selfhosted). Getting access somewhere in the world to a browser is simple. But using Smartphone synching to a smartphone is useless if you have limited bandwith via VPN.
  • Andoid no background sync. This was a big problem after the first import of 9000 notes. Cause the app must allways run on top.
  • and many other minor problems.

There are more than one day I regret the change. Joplin can't replace evernote. It can give you a lot of nice functions, if they fit your needs it's OK. But I miss so many features.

Going back? No. The advantage of having control over my data storage I have and the "no cost" glues me to Joplin. But it's no love.

I use Joplin for all sorts of data, not in business. I do a lot of DIY/Opern Source projects so collecting data for projects is the most usage.

Positive:

• I never had any data loss!
  • And the move from Evernote was ok. I moved aprox. 9000! Notes. Exported in single noteboods and the import takes 4 days overall (due to the non background sync of android)

After testing a lot of other alternatives I learned: from all those apps which told you "we can replace Evernote" it is the application which has the potential to grow, but it is limited in usage und functions compared to evernote.

For german readers I've written more detailed infos about my experiences here: http://elosworldofeverthingelse.blogspot.com/2021/11/weg-von-evernote-hin-zu-joplin.html?view=timeslide Title translated means "Going away from Evernote, moving to Joplin)

BTW: I'll not blame the developers. Thanks for all the work making the application open source. I'll accept the limitations, cause I'm working in other open source projects also with limited resources.

2 Likes

Almost immediately, but I haven't deleted my notes/account. I was concerned about keeping notes in an app that had to authenticate over the Internet every time I logged in. What if they suddenly went out of business or their servers were down? I found myself at a meeting once without connectivity and couldn't access my notes. After that I became increasingly concerned about long-term access to my notes and started looking for an alternative. I am very happy with Joplin and appreciate the work its volunteer developers have put into it.

I did like Evernote's use of HTML. A WYSIWYG rich text editor that supports HTML seems like a more logical choice than Markdown for creating rich notes. I do wish Joplin had the option to import web pages into notes with more fidelity, something similar to SingleFile, where formatting and MIME-encoded images were preserved in their original format and bundled together in the note. These are more of annoyances than deal-breakers for me, but I do think they limit Joplin's mainstream adoption.

2 Likes

I changed in the Christmas/New Year Hollydays. I do have still EN running as a backup. The reason I left EN was about their upcoming and still ongoing change to the worse. I was a happy customer for over 10 Years. I did run my whole solo entrepreneurship, had all my financial, privat and even all my Hobbys in notebooks and a great tagging system (that's the only thing I miss in Joplin, the hierarchical tagging) So Im almost one month later, imported about 80k of notes and i definitely don`t change back to EN. Joplin is the best App out on the market for me as a journalist, writer of religious article and a part time politician. Even to run all the financial aspects in an excel style not(s) is much more, than EN can offer me.

OCR on Android is for me not relevant. If I can scan the letters and so on on my notebook(s) or on the Phone, then re-OSR at home, it does the job. and @laurent and his crew: Keep up with that magnificent work you do. What you did and do for Joplin, that just wonderful and splendid work! Thanks for your great Job!

1 Like

Mine was exactly the same story! Loving the Joplin :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I started using Joplin almost a year ago and uninstalled Evernote shortly after. I kept my Evernote account active until it was about to renew last November just in case, but I never felt the need to revert to it. I wasn't afraid to delete the account because as I don't keep many notes, it was easy for me to review them to make sure nothing was missing after importing them to Joplin, so I was positive I wasn't losing anything.

My two cents about Markdown: I love it. Ironically, I use the WYSIWYG editor most of the time, but it's great being able to switch to the Markdown editor to see how the formatting is being applied and fine-tuning it if necessary, knowing that is going to be consistently rendered anywhere. One of my biggest pet peeves with Evernote was that the web version would remove some of the formatting I added on the desktop version (nested lists, for example).

3 Likes

I'm still working with Evernote.
The most I miss working with Joplin is a webclipper for Android, like the Evernote Webclipper.

I'm also a german user like @hesspet and I can follow his problems with Joplin!

I have switched to Joplin for my 'Home' Notebook quite a few months (a year?) ago and loved the fact that it is definitely ready for my needs

Then recently I moved my 'Work' notebook over too, and use Joplin Cloud and am really enjoying the experience

Evernote keept pushing 'you must be more efficient in workflows' etc at me that I dont like

But I kept my Evernotes in there as they were as (Yet Another) backup / snapshot of when I left
I also kept my subscription for now as it still runs till the end of the year and I have on old one that is only around €20 a year, if I renew it again it will be because I forget to cancel it

I have to say I find Joplin much better than evernote mostly because I can see under the hood with the Markup and not get tangled up in format changes that dont make sense especially cause I swap from Linux to Android to Windows during the day

Well, that my experience anyway.

Willkommen beohna!
Í understand. Joplin is not focussing on mobile use as it is focussing desktop use already. I doubt it will change focus completely, but I can imagine Joplin will get some improvements on the mobile versions to satisfy some basic needs more. There is room to grow, but we all know that this project is raised with limited resources. And see where it is already! :wink:

This is the only thing I miss tho :wink:

That was a really bad pain for me too!
And they took forever to sort it - if they ever did.
For me I was too scared to use the webapp in the end as for a lot of my notes once the nested lists' formatting they became almost meaningless

For those folks worried about orphaned resources, don't be.

I used Evernote for the last 8 years and it was only when they introduced version 10 that I started having doubts about its usefulness. I would install v10 for a few days, sometimes for a few weeks, and get frustrated and uninstall it, reverting to the earlier version that worked well. I probably did the install/uninstall a dozen times over the last year, every time getting more and more frustrated. I discovered Joplin about a year ago.

For the last year or so it's been my main tool. I replaced Evernote and have never seriously considered going back. I dabbled a bit just to see if EN had fixed anything (they hadn't) until a few days ago when I decided to junk it for good. Uninstalled everywhere. Three PCs, a few phones and a bunch of tablets. Bye-bye Evernote.

Then I went searching for leftover junk on the PCs, primarily the Win10 machines.

What a shock! I had not seriously used EN10 but by installing/uninstalling I, or rather, Evernote, had amassed 120,000 files in one of it's many folders. There were around 2,100 notes and 120,000 files.

Looking at Joplin with only around 1,800 notes I see about 3,500 files which considering the type of notes is quite reasonable. Probably not too many orphans in that lot.

There should have then been about 4,000 - 5,000 Evernote files given that they were the same notes. But 120,000 were there.

I'll never worry about orphan resources in Joplin again.
I'll never consider going back to Evernote either.

1 Like

The red banner in Evernote v6.

We all knew that v6 would eventually fall behind and parts get broken over time (eg: v6 can no longer make shareable links that work), but for Evernote to reach past my "do not update" setting, ignore my wishes to tell me to update anyway, suggested that "the extended v6 era" is coming to an end.

and Evernote v10, well...

1 Like

I switched back in May of this year to Joplin when a version of the desktop client I was using stopped syncing. It wasn't V6(legacy) but it did work, until April 16th or so. The funny thing is, an even older Android app I have still worked fine. While I got everything working again with V6 (Evernote Legacy and a lot slower than the version I was using) I saw the writing on the wall. Evernote V10 is horrible. Sooo slow and the interface is a whole lot worse in my opinion.

Went to Joplin, got everything copied over and sync set up. All is working well and has been since The Great Move other than a few slight hiccups but nothing major. I am glad I didn't update Joplin when AES 256 was introduced as that would have been a problem considering any slower on Android would make it unusable for me.

I cleaned out all the sensitive notes from Evernote and have left it as a backup. As has been mentioned Evernote 6 now has a red banner to update and I suspect after this month it won't work anymore as I did get a email that the older version of EvernoteWeb Classic won't be available after Oct 31 and are forcing everyone to update it.

I may clear out the rest before that point. Not sure yet. I still could via the web interface if I had to, but doubt I will ever go back now. They keep removing features, making things slower, and charging more lol. This is ALL in the wrong direction.

3 Likes

The first Joplin installer I have (I keep all installers) is "Joplin-Setup-1.0.103" dated 2018-06-26. I may have looked at it back then but I don't think I could have been using it that long. I have about 70 Joplin install packages since then but I didn't try to close the Nevernote account until late last year I think it was.

2 Likes

Won't kill 'em. Why should I save the greedy bastards even a few megabytes of database room? If everyone kept all their notebooks and notes, EN would end up having to tell everyone they were going to delete their data unless they coughed up the money to ransom it.
I was using Evernote before they even migrated to the web. They used to be a good crew of people who had a fantastic personal database product. Now they're just another microsoft-style money machine. To hell with 'em.

2 Likes

I got forced to look at alternative to Evernote in early December when I logged in one time and found I had 1 notebook and 50 note limit on the free account. I was getting messages for months to upgrade my account. 1 notebook and a 50 note limit is out of the question I had used Evernote for 10 years. I have about 6 notebook and one of them has 1600 notes.

I was getting more and more frustrated with Evernote. My opinion is the made the windows program prettier, but less functional.

I looked at onenote, but it could do some of the things I wanted.

I am going to keep my notes. I may at very least export the enex files one last time in the event I delete a critical note or a notebook by mistake

1 Like