Find and Replace

There isn’t “find and replace” in Joplin and I agree it would be great to have this in the editor so you do not have to use an external program. A regex search and replace would be even better!! I am not a coder / dev so I do not know if this can be implemented using the current ACE Editor.

3 Likes

It seems that CTRL+H is the intended shortcut key for replace in ACE. I assume it does not work as the search is not in the ACE editor but rather the viewer pane?

Hi,

this is also the one feature I'm actually missing the most in Joplin.

Couldn't find a feature request in https://github.com/laurent22/joplin/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+replace yet. So maybe, here this should be requested more first?

1 Like

Yes, +1 for find & replace, at minimum within a single note.

3 Likes

Hi,
+1
I agree that would be nice to have at least a simple Find and replace per note.

1 Like

This would be a fantastic feature for, and would be realy useful for the way that I use Joplin (University Notes).

If it is to be done though, I think it ought to have proper regex matching and replacement. This could be incredibly powerful. While not too many people would utilize it, those of us power users would find it incredibly useful for certain notes.

Also, refer to implement-regex-and-non-regex-find-and-replace-in-a-note thread.

2 Likes

Seconding this feature request. I want to copy notes over from another application, but the symbols used for bullet points don't match. There's no way I'm replacing them all by hand. If an upcoming update had this feature it'd really be a life changer!

1 Like

Not absolutely necessary since I can find/replace in an external editor, but it'd definitely be a welcome feature. To me, it'd add value to Joplin's core function.

3 Likes

Certainly, +1
If not full-flexed regex replace then just simple text replace for quick edits.

1 Like

The stand out reason for adding this for me would be find/replace across notes. I couldn't find a way of doing this in an external editor (broke my .md files); I'm not smart enough to do it in the DB now I've moved them all (4,000) into Joplin Server.
Find/Replace is hard to do well though, so I understand why no-one has taken it on.

+1 for Search & Replace ... that is a standard feature in any editor...

2 Likes

+1 for Search & Replace

1 Like

Anyway, I implemented a simple batch replacement tool page, maybe someone will need it (please backup before using)

https://joplin-utils.rxliuli.com/web/joplin-batch-web/#/replace

7 Likes

@rxliuli, great work! :trophy:

It works really well, and the preview is very useful.

Thank you.

Wow, love this feature so much, thank you.
Excuse me, can it be used on a local area network computer? If so, please tell me how to use it.

Modify settings The base path of the joplin web service

Excuse me, is it possible to publish a file so that offline computers can also use this function? Thank you

If you want, you can go to github to download all the content of this directory, and then open it through the local static resource server

5 Likes

@rxliuli

I just had to post to say thank-you for creating this very useful tool. I can now remove all the unwanted clipped pictures, logos, avatars etc from my Joplin resources folder!!

AND I can now do a simple search and replace through all my notes AND more ....

I am happy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

+1: Find and Replace built into Joplin native would be a great tool.